• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Selly Oak Hospital - which District?

golfy

proper brummie kid
My grandmother died in Selly Oak Hospital c1970 - could anyone tell me what District this is please so I can locate a copy of her death certificate? Many thanks

Hi Golfy,

Selly Oak Hospital is in Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham. Its now part of the University Hospital Birmingham Foundation Trust and will be moving to a new, state of the art (a bit too futuristic for my liking!!) building on the Queen Elizabeth Hospital site in Edgbaston. (I spent 25 years working at Selly Oak as a medical secretary and moved to Lincoln 3 years ago). You can see the new hospital if you type a search for University Hospital Birmingham. I loved the old building at Selly Oak, which was, if I remember correctly, the Kings Norton Workhouse prior to becoming a hospital. Sometimes it still felt like a workhouse!!!

Hope this is helpful.

What surprises me is the amount of stuff left in situ when a hospital closes. Having spent hours hanging around the place Selly Oak Hospital does have a deppressing air about it which is missing at the Q.E. Speaking of which my mrs is in for surgery again in september, looks like we will have to cancel our holiday and I will stay a few nights at the Costa del Brum.

Back