• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Selly Oak Hospital

image.jpeg The main block in .c1910 compared with the current day building. The tower has lost its cupolas. Looks like some sort of ventilation for the main block. Viv.

A few photos from the BBC Birmingham site. These show the hospital from its early days as the Kings Norton Infirmary to the mid- twentieth century Selly Oak Hospital.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 39
A few more . How lovely if someone should spot themselves or their mothers on one of these photos .... Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 43
Spent a few nights in there when I broke my arm (radius AND ulna) in Daisy Farm Park in 1961......they set it but it didn't knit correctly so I had to have it broken again (ouch)!

Hi Speedy. Not a good experience, although hopefully you were well cared for in there.

Hi Janice. Good to hear they're keeping the listed buildings. The site is so vast, I doubt developers could make a convincing case for clearing the whole site, so that's promising. Viv.

Thank you for those great photos Viv. Guess a lot of us have a connection with Selly Oak Hospital. I know my granddad died in there in 1945. Judy

This was what I saw 0n 6th June when I passed the Hospital on my way from Pembroke to Skipton !! Being my old neck of the woods I had to deviate my journey to get an update on my home ground form years ago. This block of the Hospital is Selly Oak Hospital.JPG where my sister spent a month in 1944 with a burnt bottom after sitting on an unguarded electric fire !! There was absolutely no visiting during that period!

Thanks for the update David and welcome to the forum. Your sister's burns sound very uncomfortable. Doubtless she remembers it all very clearly. Hope you enjoy the forum. Viv.

Thanks for the update David and welcome to the forum. Your sister's burns sound very uncomfortable. Doubtless she remembers it all very clearly. Hope you enjoy the forum. Viv.
Thank you Viv for your favourable comments, however, I am anvil man and have been on the Forum for a few years now. When the provider changed I became slightly confused with the set up and experimented with the new system, hence the appearance of the different name. I seem to have come to terms with the system and more often than not enter as "anvil man".

My father had a heart valve operation in Selly Oak Hospital in 1961. A very tricky op in those days and he died within a few years. I remember my older my sister and me amused ourselves in a wooden gazebo affair in the grounds while Mother visited him. The days were hot and there was the smell of wood polish in the gazebo. I also recall red sandstone rock outside and elm trees everywhere.

Ray T.

Last edited:
I have the distinction of having been born in Selly Oak Hospital in 1943. My father was a volunteer driver with the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade and was very often driving victims of the bombing raids on Birmingham to Selly Oak Hospital and would take the opportunity to see my mother whenever he could. It was not a fun time in Birmingham in 1943 and Selly Oak Hospital received lots of victims of the bombing raids.

Threads 3 years old, but that's where I was born in 56, had a broken wrist fixed from playing football in the school yard, also got my shin stitched up12 of them still got the scar after slipping try to jump up a 3 foot wall at the island in West Heath.

All those walls with white tile and I can smell the place to this day.

Before 2014, 1949 in fact:
I think there are a couple of threads about this hospital.

I worked at SOH in 84/5 before moving to QEH then the Matty (Womens) and my wife trained and worked as a nurse there from 1986 to close and relocation to the QE. She recognises a couple of the wards pictured above and managed a couple of them. I was actually born at SOH and after starting work there, joined the cricket and football teams who I continued to play for after I'd left. I had many a great wednesday evening playing 20 overs a side cricket on the pitch by the nurses home.

Last edited:
The new housing at The Oak near Oak Tree Lane and Raddlebarn Road looks all complete from the bus.

Meanwhile this building is still visible on Oak Tree Lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandad Roy Winfield was born here in 1932, though it states Raddlebarn Road on his birth certificate. Love seeing the photos in this thread...

I know some people who were born in workhouses hospitals just had the address written on their birth certificate so they wouldn't feel shame when they were older...

Back