• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Selly Oak Bristol Road

pam m

master brummie
Hi, does anyone remeber the cinema on the Bristol Road Selly Oak i think it would of been situated where the sainsburys is now there, would love to see any pictures of it if anyone has got any at all:D

used right through the 50's and eary 60's alternating between the Royalty Harborne I was a "monitor" there for the Saturday childrens pictures, and worked at the chippy up the road.
paul

used right through the 50's and eary 60's alternating between the Royalty Harborne I was a "monitor" there for the Saturday childrens pictures, and worked at the chippy up the road.
paul

hi Paul, i have vague memories of the picture house was it called the odeon? do you remeber opposite to that was a pub cant remeber the name though lol think i may have a picture but dont no how to put it on here lol

It was the "Oak" at the corner of Bristol Rd and Chapel Lane, yes about where Sainsburys is now (the Bristol Rd has been considerably widened there).

It was the "Oak" at the corner of Bristol Rd and Chapel Lane, yes about where Sainsburys is now (the Bristol Rd has been considerably widened there).

Hi, this takes me back years awwww thankyou Lloyd, i remember going in The Oak pub years back,i also remember the bus depot next to where the job centre is now

Hi Pam,

Heres another, this was was taken in 1929.

Phil

SellyOakTheOakCinema1929.jpg

Hi pam m
the cinema when I used it was an ABC cinema I watched my first grown up film there "Jail House Rock" Elvis.
paul

I remember the Oak cinema very early 80s just before they tore it down. It was a pale imitation of its former self by then. Shame. I think it had been closed a while by then.

I vaguely remember the last remnants of the Warley Odeon as well, when I was very small. That looks like it was an impressive place in its day as well.

They built a lot of beautiful cinemas in the 20s/30s. Really put an importance on the architecture. I understand the business reasons why they went, but its still a shame.

Hi, does anyone remeber the cinema on the Bristol Road Selly Oak i think it would of been situated where the sainsburys is now there, would love to see any pictures of it if anyone has got any at all:D

hi pam i remember it, used to go on a saturday morning to the matinee, we were the abcers, i lived on bristol rd near bournbrook end sorry gotno pics but seen loads from other members sure someone will help you

Originally called simply "The Oak", it opened 26 March 1923 seating 1111 exactly. Re-modelled inside 1935 in time for that years' Christmas bookings and included an enlargement of the stage and a re-furnished balcony. 1505 seats by then.

Re-named the ABC Selly Oak in 1965, but not quite clear how long it been already part of the ABC group of cinemas nationally.

Passed into private ownership in April 1974 and closed finally November 1979.

One or two photos of an earlier period have seen in existence, but can't trace them just for the moment.

Can remember the Oak, but only as a lovely building it had already closed when I started training at Selly Oak in 1980! Shame so many of the old buildings have gone to make way for roads, but glad the Country Girl pub and the Gun Barrels are still going, many happy memories from them.

Hi Richie I was an ABC minor in1961 at the Oak cinema. I also worked Saturdays for Tony the Greek Cypriat, (fish and chip shop) just along the Bristol Road
paul

ABC SELLY OAK...... Was an part of the ABC curcuit from the early 30's and was owned until the demolition. The Last ABC Manager was Miss Joan Cooks... Then leased out as an Independant.....

When ABC Bristol Road was turned into a 3 screen Cinema. its Seats and carpets where then transfered to Selly oak. Hmm I remember them being fitted when I was on Relief there.

Back