• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Selly Manor

cookie273uk

master brummie
Should not have painted this, told to rest my sprained wrist for 10 days but painting takes my mind of losing my dog AnnaSelly Manor 2012 001.JPG

Eric, another very atmospheric painting, even though you have a sprained wrist ! Sorry to learn that you no longer have Anna - we all miss our lovely pets very much. Great painting Eric.

Best Wishes, Anthea.

Lovely painting Eric and I hope your wrist gets better soon?. I love how you have made the road look so icy. Jean.

Brilliant Eric - and your wrist should be ok as long as you rest it between times, keep it elevated when you are resting it, will stop it swelling.
Sue

Lovely painting, and my that corner does look treacherous...

That's smashing Eric. A lovely painting. The smaller building is Minworth Greaves, moved from Minworth to this site by the Cadbury's in the 1930s. And the larger building, Selly Manor, came from Bournbrook and was re- assembled here as part of the Cadbury model village development in the early 1900s. Two great pieces of Birmingham history (about 700years old) perfectly captured in your painting Eric. Viv.

Thats beautiful Eric I am going to save the picture for my granddaughter she loved her visit there. She can take it to America with her. Hope your wrist gets better soon.

In 1870 this painting by Henry Baker shows Selly Manor as a timber and brick house. The black and white timber and plaster seems to have almost disappeared at this point, so decay must have set in. By the time the Cadbury family rescued the buildng and moved it from Bournbrooke to Bournville it would have been in a very poor state. So if it weren't for the Cadbury family I suspect this might well have become one of our many lost treasures.

The building has also gone by another name; in the 1900s it was known as Rookery Cottages. Viv.

image.jpeg

What a marvellous old building, thank goodness for the Cadbury family, if my memory servers me right, there are quite a few things in and around Birmingham we have to thank them for saving, for prosperity. Paul

IMG_1417.jpg IMG_1416.jpg Two lovely paintings by Eric and Henry Baker...I found this article from the Tamworth Herald...August 1932

Thanks Pedrocut. How truly refreshing to read the journalist's article in the Tamworth Herald. The use of original materials where at all possible and the sympathetic use of compatible replacements if needed sets a wonderful example. If only it was an approach applied more often today. It's happening in some instances but not often enough. Viv.

Back