• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Seeking information about a tram accident - 1941

johnboy100

Brummie babby
Hello,
I am searching for any information about a tram accident that sadly killed my great-grandfather in 1941. The death certificate for my great-grandfather, Arthur John Hand (6 Mar 1896 - 4 Dec 1941) states "Died at Birmingham General Hospital of: cardiac failure as a result of a fracture of the femur - knocked down by a tram car. Coroner's inquest held on 9 Dec 1941. Our local family story is that he was walking back home from the pub during a blackout and got hit by the tram. He lived at the time at 80 Alum Rock Road. I cannot find the inquest report as I believe it may not have been a legal requirement to keep it. If anyone can help or direct me to a new area to research, I would be grateful.
John Hand

Unfortunately I can't see anything in the British Library Newspaper Archive searching by "Arthur John Hand" or "Arthur Hand". But as Janice says, there is quite possibly an Inquest.

Maurice :cool:

Thank you very much; it looks like a trip back to my homeland is required.
Didn't realise you weren't here :rolleyes:
Birmingham library is not as efficient as it used to be owing to staff cuts. I would email them and see if they can tell you if they hold an inquest record.

I'm not far away! I have emailed them as you suggested as you have to make an appointment to view archived inquest material. Thanks again for your help.

I also searched for "accident" and "tram " in the newspapers for period around this date. One accident came up, but not this one

I also searched for "accident" and "tram " in the newspapers for period around this date. One accident came up, but not this one

Hi Mike. Would be interested to know whether the accident you found was of similar type to the one requested, i.e. somebody being knocked down by a tram in the blackout. Might be of general interest to other Forum members. Thanks. Dave.

thats great johnboy.... :) they may allow you to either photograph it or the library maybe able to print off a copy at a small charge

lyn

I am now back from the Central Library and indeed, I was able to read and photograph the relevant Coroner's report. It showed that my great grandfather was knocked down by Tram car No 804 on the No 8 route from the City 20-30 yards before the Request Stop opposite the Reginald Road/Alum Rock Road junction. It was during a blackout period on what is described as a 'murky' night in November 1941. Fascinating stuff.

A photo in this thread shown tram 784 in pre ww2 livery. It is of the same class of trams (762 - 811) built in 1928 all of which were fitted with bow collectors at different times after their construction for routes 8 and 10. It would have had a masked headlight and white fender in 1941.
Post 306 dated Sept. 17 2017 refers.

I am pleased you found a photo of car 804 Lloyd.
I attempted a search on BHF yesterday but was surprised how many threads and the length of many of them, that concern tramcars. Not wishing to spend a considerable time I took the line of least resistance and chose my photo after a few pages of the fist thread I read. One issue with most fora - not just BHF - is it will not look for three letter items such as 804. Pub is another! :)

In the Coroner's report from my great-grandfather's accident, the driver mentioned that he did not see or feel any collision but knew something had happened when he felt the 'life-guard' on the front of the tram drop; at that he point he stopped the tram fairly quickly to investigate. Does anyone know what sort of device the 'life-guard' is? I can't see anything obvious on the picture of #804 above.

Back