• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Postcard view of Stratford Road. The man on the left walks toward Showell Green Road. Date unknown. Some of the buildings exist today.
View attachment 149500
The view today. Trees block the view but the small spire (top right) shows in both photos.
View attachment 149501
Used to park up adjacent to that tree some twenty years ago when I was a "white van man" making deliveries for a wholesale pharmacists (LexonUK) to the retailer there on the left.

Last edited:
Those trees - from the sublime to the ridculous or vice versa. At least the people in the accomodation above the shops could see daylight in 2011 :)

Maurice :cool:

Hagley Road postcard which was franked in 1905. I'm not really familiar with the Hagley Road so I don't know exactly where this was taken. I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the window cleaners working at such heights. Sorry for the dirty sky. Does anyone have a "today" photograph? Dave.
January 1939, Birmingham Daily Post. Church of the Redeemer Floodlit.

2494DDCC-E1F9-4A17-91D4-A8F25ECD463D.jpeg

This is the today view. You can see that the wall and the gate posts are still there. Nowhere near such an imposing building there today. If travelling into Birmingham, this is on your left before the first block of shops at the Ivy Bush.
1614887391185.png

The present Church of the Redeemer is in Monument Road, a new red brick building.

Last edited:
It was there last year, sorry year before last (last year has sort of disappeared). I went for a drink there

I has occasion to visit the church some years ago and it is now round the corner in Monument Road itself. It stands on the former site of a cinema (name escapes me) but is just on the bend of the road. I was researching a block of houses which once stood there called 'Monument Place'. Slightly clearer photo of this baptist church below. I expect they got a considerable sum for the prime site on Hagley Road and like a lot of other churches felt that with shrinking congregations the upkeep of such a large building was too much.

Church of the Redeemer.jpg

I has occasion to visit the church some years ago and it is now round the corner in Monument Road itself. It stands on the former site of a cinema (name escapes me) but is just on the bend of the road. I was researching a block of houses which once stood there called 'Monument Place'. Slightly clearer photo of this baptist church below. I expect they got a considerable sum for the prime site on Hagley Road and like a lot of other churches felt that with shrinking congregations the upkeep of such a large building was too much.

View attachment 153841
I knew the cinema as the Monument after the name of the road, then like a lot of others it was just called ABC. Only went there once. Learned a lot in the back rows, No further comment

I knew the cinema as the Monument after the name of the road, then like a lot of others it was just called ABC. Only went there once. Learned a lot in the back rows, No further comment
I always knew it as the Edgbaston cinema in Monument Road. I remember seeing Patrick Boone in Friendly Persuasion there in about 1957/1958

The other end of Corporation Street c.1940s. Note the odd caption - the Fire Station is nowhere to be seen.

BHF4a.jpg
The photograph is probably being taken from the Fire Station itself. The white bar (of sunlight?) on Corporation Street would be coming from Ryder Street, where I lived till 1955, and the tower is the Central Methodist church whose ministrer in those days was the striking figure of the Reverend Maldwyn Edwards whose fiery sermons attracted a large congregation. I''m noticing for the first time, the crenellation and fairy castle towers atop the Ansells pub!

The photograph is probably being taken from the Fire Station itself. The white bar (of sunlight?) on Corporation Street would be coming from Ryder Street, where I lived till 1955, and the tower is the Central Methodist church whose ministrer in those days was the striking figure of the Reverend Maldwyn Edwards whose fiery sermons attracted a large congregation. I''m noticing for the first time, the crenellation and fairy castle towers atop the Ansells pub!
Actually taken from the Halford's building, later totally destroyed by fire despite its proximity to the Central Fire Station off shot to the left.

Back