• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Whichever of the two roads it it it us a nice photo. A little puzzling however.
It almost suggests that the tall poles could be traction poles for the new tramway which if Washwood Heath Road was extended beyond Sladefield Road to the Fox & Goose in 1913 which would tie in with the 1911 celebrations most likely. No tracks seem to be visible neither it there any overhead. I doubt that would be allowed or possible to have bunting with overhead wires.at however. If before Sladefield Road would put the date before 1907.
Alum Rock Road tram route went as far as Bowyer Road after 1907 but was not extended to Belchers Lane until 1925.
That would suggest the 10 route along Washwood Hearth Road as the most likely.

Last edited:
The second photo shown tram tracks leading off to the right. That has to be into Washwood Heath tram dept. The depot was in operation from 1907 until 1950. There were, as far as I know, no turn off on Alum Rock Road. The date is before 1907 presumably.

I think Post #237 and #240 are looking towards Saltley Station (you can see the bridge in the distance), when we moved to Washwood Heath in 1956ish I would catch the No.8 bus at 'The Gate' (off the pictures to the left) to go to visit my relatives in Aston.

So Saltley High Street with Alum Rock Road is behind the photographer?
That's right, the only shop I remember along there was a toy/model shop, I used to put money into a club there to eventually buy a Battle of Britain locomotive - never did save the money long enough to buy it though.

I promised you all an exciting postcard and here it is. Bromford Lane, I suppose this could be a new identify this spot theme. However just to prove that there are boring postcards, here is one. Mods please put it into Portrait stance- DONE

Bromford lane.jpg

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I promised you all an exciting postcard and here it is. Bromford Lane, I suppose this could be a new identify this spot theme. However just to prove that there are boring postcards, here is one. Mods please put it into Portrait stance- DONE

View attachment 149126

Bob
Sorry Bob but it's too small for me to see any detail. I've tried downloading and using the zoom but as the picture gets bigger the more blurred it becomes.

Thanks for that, where did the script up the side come from? and what happened to the writing along the edge?

Bob
Because it's Two's own postcard, very similar but with slight differences
This is Bob Davis's postcard on the right which he kindly sent me to upload

bromford-lane-2.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
I would put money on a return from service during WW1, given the date. But of course there could be many different interpretations about where he had been. ;)

It does appear that there is more than one tree there. Nice looking, maybe the residents like it that way.
Regarding a date of the older picture I have the idea that it is a couple of years either side of the turn of the 19th. and 20th. centuries. (I have a feeling this picture is here elsewhere on BHF).
Steam trams ran to that point from 1885 onwards but electrification did not commence until 1906; the first electric trams running in 1907. In the old photo there are no traction poles or overhead wiring.

It looks as if it is the same tree. At least they did keep the trees unlike many of our main roads in Birmingham. I presumed that the tree has been pruned for the buses and lorries that pass along that road. I remember the days when Midland Red went out doing their own tree cutting using an old doubledecker bus with part of the roof cut off.

Back