• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Spargone, I pass this landmark quite regularly but I don't know what's happening to it. There appears to be a cafe of some sort on the ground floor but I've never seen anyone going in. It would be so sad to see this building going the way of the King Edward just a bit further up the road.

A shame the slip board is not readable as well. It seems that the 3 route was one of those taken over from the Midland Red in 1914 and went to Queens Park. In September 1930 it was extended to West Boulevard. One blind description for the 3 was Harborne and Queens Park. January 1937 it appeared the extension to World's End Lane occurred as the 3A but this was curtailed apparently for most of WW2.

A shame the slip board is not readable as well. It seems that the 3 route was one of those taken over from the Midland Red in 1914 and went to Queens Park. In September 1930 it was extended to West Boulevard. One blind description for the 3 was Harborne and Queens Park. January 1937 it appeared the extension to World's End Lane occurred as the 3A but this was curtailed apparently for most of WW2.
I think it's Queens Park
colmore-row-postcardc.jpg

This post card is of Chamberlain Square and the Art Gallery. It was posted on August 23rd 1913 to a person in London. The writer says "this is one of the many fine buildings here". I assume the larger structure in front of the Art Gallery is the Chamberlain Fountain but what was the smaller structure nearer to the Art Gallery? This Tuck's post card was sold by E. C. Osborne and Son, Printers and Stationers, 84 New Street, Birmingham. There is certainly a sense of spaciousness in front of the Art Gallery (no mention of the word "Museum" on the card).
P1000554.JPG

This post card is of Chamberlain Square and the Art Gallery. It was posted on August 23rd 1913 to a person in London. The writer says "this is one of the many fine buildings here". I assume the larger structure in front of the Art Gallery is the Chamberlain Fountain but what was the smaller structure nearer to the Art Gallery? This Tuck's post card was sold by E. C. Osborne and Son, Printers and Stationers, 84 New Street, Birmingham. There is certainly a sense of spaciousness in front of the Art Gallery (no mention of the word "Museum" on the card).
View attachment 138760
From that excellent website, BHF a post from "Phil" in 2017, in the thread Chamberlain Square, tells us that it's the George Dawson memorial.

From that excellent website, BHF a post from "Phil" in 2017, in the thread Chamberlain Square, tells us that it's the George Dawson memorial.

A statue of Dawson formerly stood in Victoria Square, Birmingham; and later in Edmund Street, nearby. It is currently in store at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery's Museum Collections Centre, awaiting restoration and repair.

Another look at Old Square in steam tram days.

BHF2.jpg
I LOVE the Old Square!! I looked onto it from my very first job, housed in the Grand Theatre!!

Back to black and white and away from the City centre for a view of the now gone Warstock pub as it was in the 1950's. Note the two bakery vans, electric for Pattersons and motor for Bradfords. Were the drivers delivering there or enjoying a swift half of Ansells together or both? Another unknown in a little glimpse of yesteryear life caught on camera.

BHF21.jpg
The Warstock, my old pub!! Any of my gorgeous punters on here? Sleachy, Russell, Stonehouses, Trevor? Still loves ya!! Jo xx

Post card of the Bull Ring. No writing or stamp on this one. The clothes worn by the young man on the right look post-war but the vehicles and other people look pre-war. There is also a tram either entering or leaving the Bull Ring, on the left. I have enlarged this section. The only trams I ever saw in the city centre were in Steelhouse Lane in the early 1950s. Dave.
P1000558 (2).JPGP1000558 (3).JPG

Post card of the Bull Ring. No writing or stamp on this one. The clothes worn by the young man on the right look post-war but the vehicles and other people look pre-war. There is also a tram either entering or leaving the Bull Ring, on the left. I have enlarged this section. The only trams I ever saw in the city centre were in Steelhouse Lane in the early 1950s. Dave.
View attachment 138804View attachment 138805
Trams ran there until around 1953. Moor St-Albert Street-Carrs Lane. Tracks along Stratford Rd dug up in 1956 while I was doing "O" Levels!
p.s. Having doubts! I do know there were tram tracks up Camp Hill into the fifties, bike wheels were somehow attracted to them, and there was an occasional vehicle, I remember seeing a single decker tram along there, I don't think there was a regular service that late. Perhaps it's better to say trams could run there.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that electric trams operated in Birmingham from 1901. There appears to be an electric tram with roof in the photo so taken after 1901. Maybe the building was more than 15 years old at the date of the photo.

Back