• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

We used a safety pin to pick out the pomegranate pips. My mum must have been very H&S conscious! Took ages to eat a half of a pomegranate. And think how healthy they were - well that never crossed our minds to be honest. Viv.

Lady P, I don't claim to be posh. Once when I was at a function in the Banqueting Suite of the Council House, I pointed out that I was born in a council house. David

a friend has sent me these lovely old postcards...on the back it says photographed by thomas lewis stratford road...
no 1 stratford road in 1875
no 2 old moseley village
no 3 the mermaid pub...on the front of the card is written "mermaid" but i can see another word before that but cant make it out...not sure which mermaid pub this was or where it was

img282.jpg img284.jpg img283.jpg

...on the front of the card is written "mermaid" but i can see another word before that but cant make it out...

It says "The Old Mermaid" and the number 798 (possibly a card reference no - or was the original pub built 1798?)
It is at the junction of Stratford and Warwick Roads, so the site of the later Mermaid still standing (just!)

Another site showing this photo indicates it was taken in 1873.

Last edited:
thanks lloyd..yes i think 798 is the card numbers as they have all got numbers on them...would think its the original mermaid pub...

lyn

What is a curiosity is the old, horse drawn bus on the "Old Mermaid" card, this indicates even at that early date, they were becoming Birmingham suburbs. Paul

yes i noticed that as well paul..hard to believe the stratford road once looked like that...mind you i am always saying that about lots of places:rolleyes:

lyn

It never ceases to amaze me Lyn, when you see old photos of places you knew when growing up in Birmingham, just how quickly they changed, can you imagine how many bricks it must have taken to turn the Stratford Road from that "sleepy" old village at the junction of the Warwick Road to what it is now, mind blowing. Regards Paul

i agree with you paul...oh i know its all in the name of progress but we dont have to like it do we...rips the heart out of me when i see all of our great buildings that has been swept aside and once they are gone they are gone..thing is its still happening today and will continue to do so until all trace of our history has totally been obliterated....lessons have not been learnt...must get off me soap box now:D

Hi Lloyed
yes are correct what lynn as put on regarding the mermaid pub , i have just dug out my reffernce books
And it clearly shows that it was the mermaid and that it early part of the century
the book i have with the photogragh which was taken by a guy called thomas Lewis and it also
Tells me and shows me the Alterations since this previous photo and also again
Since the publication of this book and it also states at the time of this publication of this book
Was closed and boarded up at the time the picture was taken
At this precise moment i have got to fetch my copyier from my sons .
the pictures are excatly the same street shot as well
Abit later this evening i will show you how the modeled it befor todays as we know it or should i say remember it
the other photo what lynn put up as number 2 pic was infact the old bulls head in mosely village
I can tell you the picture full is identicle
And the caption underneath the photo states,
The Bull s Head in mosely village which sold Burtons Ales , in 1919
When this post card was sent to Tumbridge wells, on the right are the mews where J, MILES
Were cab proprietors , at the time there were amazinly 25 small firms connected with the gun trade in St Mary,s row

We used a safety pin to pick out the pomegranate pips. My mum must have been very H&S conscious! Took ages to eat a half of a pomegranate. And think how healthy they were - well that never crossed our minds to be honest. Viv.

That's how we used to eat them, but I think we used a straight pin!
In one of Nigel Slater's books, he describes his father eating a pomegranate with a pin - I thought: well, didn't every one?!

I found these two postcards in Yoxford, Suffolk. I took them on my phone but maybe some one can improve on the quality.

Attachments

• Five Ways.jpg
    Five Ways.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 50
  • Corporation Street.jpg
    Corporation Street.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 49
Back