• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

This is my small contribution to the tour of Birmingham by postcard.
Highfield Road Hall Green: date unknown, possibly 50's

Attachments

• Highfield Rd Hall Green.jpg
    Highfield Rd Hall Green.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
What a wondeful view along Paradise street in what appears to be the late part of the 1800's. Life looked so peaceful then. (I only say looked).

Phil

Attachments

• City Paradise St 1870.JPG
    City Paradise St 1870.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
What a wondeful view along Paradise street in what appears to be the early part of the 1900's. Life looked so peaceful then. (I only say looked).

Phil

Phil, check out this actual photo I've selected. If you're any good at 'cutting and pasting' (I'm usless!) you might want to put it side by side with yours and run a "spot the difference" competition on here.

https://www.francisfrith.com/search/england/west+midlands/birmingham/photos/birmingham_37274.htm

In fact, you might want to recommend the whole site to our members here. It will keep them occupied during the winter weather(which starts today by the looks of things!)

Here's the comparison. Christ Church has gone, replaced by offices and shops (later called 'Galloway's corner'), and new development in New Street, too.

Attachments

• paradise st.JPG
    paradise st.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 27
Another one for you transport buffs, the south exit of New St Station. No I don't know what the trains are.

Phil

City New St Station South.jpg

Last edited:
That's how I like to remember the railways, smoke, steam, soot, and living machines!
45519 "Lady Godiva", one of the former LMS Railway's 'Baby Scot' or 'Patriot' class locomotives on the left, and one of the first express passenger train diesels on the right.
You could not have dreamed at the time of this painting that within a few decades fast, clean, air-conditioned trains would whisk the miles away at double or triple the speeds of the old steamers.
You wouldn't have guessed how much the fares have gone up, either!

Cough- cough the smokes killing me. One last one just for you Lloyd, Spring Hill Station. Fox Hollies. I got off here once when I caught the wrong train to Solihull once years ago. A little after this photo was taken I hasten to add. I don't know what that is standing at the platform it looks a baxi boiler to me.

Back to serious views of Birmingham after this.

Phil

Fox Hollies Spring Rd Railway Stn.jpg

Last edited:
They can't match perfectly but for fun here are two Post Cards probably from the same photo shoot overlaid to give a Cinemascope view of Galloways Corner in the 1960's

Attachments

• img821[1].jpg
    img821[1].jpg
    165 KB · Views: 34
Mike

Great view, but its getting too clever on here for me. I have enough problems trying to download one photo.

Phil

Phil
I don't believe that! (I reckon your mind is still on the tomato dips over on the 'Where is this' Thread)
Mike

After Galloways Corner came this and it's changed again since this 70's view.

Attachments

• City Victoria Square 1971.JPG
    City Victoria Square 1971.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 32
How nice it was to see grass in the city centre - not concrete and paving slabs, or, heaven forbid, a thousand tons of sand making a pretend beach.

Thanks to all of you who posted those lovely old pctures. It took quite awhile to browse through them all. Very interesting. I am glad I looked at them in one of my more lucid moments because it is hard to be nostalgic when you cant remember anything.

These old pictures really are a delight. But I'm not so sure that I like grass in the town centre. Trees are fine - they give you shade and colour. But grass, I don't think so, it has to be mown or (much better) grazed by sheep, goats or something, but if it is, people will start to take short cuts over it and form a muddy path, unless you build a fence or hedge (also a dodgy idea, I think).
Peter

I think you are probably right Peter. | do like New Street with its traffic free walkway, but wouldn't it look wonderful if Galloways was still standing.

I think you are probably right Peter. | do like New Street with its traffic free walkway, but wouldn't it look wonderful if Galloways was still standing.

Looks like with my comparison to the Paradise Street postcard that I've started a thread all of its own!

Although I little remember Galloways when it was standing it does looking back have an imposing prescence. That is why buildings become the unofficial street name rather than the one chosen.

I get very uncomfortable when I'm walking through areas that were once buildings where people worked or lived even. As though I'm trespassing on special ground.

Am I getting crusty?

I get very uncomfortable when I'm walking through areas that were once buildings where people worked or lived even. As though I'm trespassing on special ground.

I always remember the old Christ Church as I cross that spot, and wonder what the first congregations would have thought if they could have known what would come later on the site.

I can't believe they have put that 'beach' there again, especially with the summer we are having! sigh!

I just could not resist another lok at all these pictures. I dont suppose many of you will agree with me when I say that I prefer those old buildings to the monstrosities we have today. I no longer know anyone who goes into the city for shopping or anything else other than to catch a train or to change buses if their destination is cross city. I remember most of the buildings vividly because my mom, god bless her, used to take us into town for the CO-OP, Beehive, Fish Market, Bull Ring, Kings Hall Market, Lewis's, Greys and many others.
Again, can I say thank you to everyone who posted the pics.

Two fine views of Harborne High St, from either end I think.

Phil

Harborne High St 2.jpgHarborne High St 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back