• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Re Post 2079 - Fire Station overlooking Lancaster Place. (Re - Location of photographer).
Lancaster Place and Corporation St  1946.JPG
The Postcard title should have been "View" from Fire Station perhaps.
The Picture has definitely been taken from Central Fire Station.
Look how close the Castle Public House opposite is on the right.
The height of the Tram Pole outside the window matches the height of a second Floor window on the Fire Station.
The photographer would have most likely been positioned in one the windows circled in Red.
Central Fire Station - 1946 July.jpgCentral FS - 000.jpg

I agree that the photo was taken from the Fire Station. A view from Halfords would have been towards the street to the left of Corporation Street whose name I have forgotten but which is now under the Queensway.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
This post card was sold on ebay two months ago for £4.99. It is an advertising postcard saying that they were at 336 Stratford Street in 1900. My mother used to shop at Werff's on the corner of Temple Row and Bull Street. View attachment 146556View attachment 146557

The post card that oldMohawk has posted of a shop on the Coventry Road is dated 1910.
HI David, according to the 1921 census FMP my grandmother Mabel Redgrave worked at Werff Bros in City Arcarde

Re Post 2079 - Fire Station overlooking Lancaster Place. (Re - Location of photographer).
View attachment 166979
The Postcard title should have been "View" from Fire Station perhaps.
The Picture has definitely been taken from Central Fire Station.
Look how close the Castle Public House opposite is on the right.
The height of the Tram Pole outside the window matches the height of a second Floor window on the Fire Station.
The photographer would have most likely been positioned in one the windows circled in Red.
View attachment 166980View attachment 166981
The date of 1946 has to br wrong as there is a Nechells trolley bus in the picture and they ceased running at the start of WWII.
Bob

New member here. Regarding Hyndman Bros.
Richie
This picture has been on before on https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46699.It is a better scan there and it can be seen that the next building is the xxx Arms.
In the previous post it was said that the fire was at Hyndman Bros. Cromwell claimed that the map (1) he presented (blue arrow on map) showed the pub next door to the fire, but I think this must be incorrect, in that this pub (which is called the Plough & Harrow in Kellys 1876, 1896 and 1912) in addition to never having been called the xxxx Arms, was not next to the corner plot, with another plot between . On examining Kelly's , the 1896 edition does not mention Hyndman bros, but the 1912 ed.(presumably after rebuilding) puts them at 72-78 Jamaica st (see attached). The 1890 map attached shows a PH next to this in Moat Row. the 1876, 1896, 1912 1nd 1921 Kelly's all refer to it as a beer retailer, though by 1940 it has become Harveys Commercial hotel.
Therefore the building to the left of the photo is the unnamed pub at 23 Moat Row , and the buildings down to the right at nos 82-90 Jamaica Row.
The end of the buildings on the right is the junction with Sherlock St, which on the map is shown to be a wideish junction, as appears in the photo.
Mike

jamaica_row__map1901A.jpg

kellys_1912.jpg
Hi there. Interesting post above. May I just note that the Birmingham Rate books for 1906 for Jamaica Row have William James Hyndman, Robert Hyndman and Hugh Morrison Hyndman (my relatives) renting offices and warehouses at 72 Jamaica Row. Owner listed as Atlas Insurance Company. The Hyndmans ran a hardware dealership.

I have 19 old postcards, 14 pre 1960 and mainly pre 1940s and 5 modern coloured, all city centre, town hall, art gallery etc. If anyone would like them, please let me know with your address and they will be sent to you. Nothing exciting or dramatic.
Bob

I have 19 old postcards, 14 pre 1960 and mainly pre 1940s and 5 modern coloured, all city centre, town hall, art gallery etc. If anyone would like them, please let me know with your address and they will be sent to you. Nothing exciting or dramatic.
Bob
Hi Bob. I would love to have the postcards, it would be very kind of you. I miss Birmingham so much and take an avid interest. If you could send to Andrew Woodhall, 20 Maryport Court, Carlisle, CA2 5LY. Let me know of any costs. Regards

Hi Bob. I would love to have the postcards, it would be very kind of you. I miss Birmingham so much and take an avid interest. If you could send to Andrew Woodhall, 20 Maryport Court, Carlisle, CA2 5LY. Let me know of any costs. Regards
Be posted tomorrow
Bob

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back