• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Searching for info on tragic event in 1960s

SarahJ36

Hello all. I'm working on behalf of a BBC Wales journalist, who's trying to piece together information and write an article relating to a tragic incident in mid-Wales in the early 1960s. A boy by the name of Raymond Guyatt, from Whitehall Road, Small Heath, Birmingham lost his life during this Duke of Edinburgh expedition. Brian Harris and Michael Grindod were also stranded on the mountain. I've seen posts from two of your members - berniew and postie (a staff member) from 2009, discussing Ray's tragic death. Does anyone have any more information they could share with me? The reason for the article is that the community in Powys wish to raise funds to erect a permanent memorial, in memory of the three boys' bravery.

I assume you have searched newspaper archives?

Last edited:
Reading the article from 2009, isn't it sad the way newspapers go out of their way to upset relatives just to make a story? Comments get taken out of context and no doubt mis-represented and the reporter most likely made up the statement of outrage, e.g. "Were you extremely upset (when I told you out of the blue) that x said?"

Somewhat related is the way some deaths get publicly acknowledged but others on the same day are ignored but are they any the less? (I had a close relative killed on the same day as a 'bombing' event. I am supposed to join in public rememberance of the later while the former event is in the public 'memory hole').

Reading the article from 2009, isn't it sad the way newspapers go out of their way to upset relatives just to make a story? Comments get taken out of context and no doubt mis-represented and the reporter most likely made up the statement of outrage, e.g. "Were you extremely upset (when I told you out of the blue) that x said?"

Somewhat related is the way some deaths get publicly acknowledged but others on the same day are ignored but are they any the less? (I had a close relative killed on the same day as a 'bombing' event. I am supposed to join in public rememberance of the later while the former event is in the public 'memory hole').
sad, and it's absolutely disgusting.

I assume you have searched newspaper archives?

Thank you Jancie, for all your help. Yes, I already have these links. We hope we can write a sensitive article, taking account of the story from the boys' perspective. Sarah.

Have you searched to see if the relatives are still alive?
Hi. Yes we have found several potential relatives with the surname Guyatt. Unsure whether to contact them, as this is such a sensitive subject for the Guyatt family, or dare I say, even for Ray Guyatt's friends who were with him on the mountain during this tragic event. If you have further information or perhaps a photo, that would be gratefully received. I know that someone in one of the posts on this site, said they had a photo of Ray Guyatt.

Back