• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Searching for books

Di, thank you for that web sight, l've been searching a book my gg uncle wrote, and have put it on that site,hopefully someone will find it!!. .....so... if any of you comes across an autobiography of David Barr"CLIMBING THE LADDER" (the struggles and successes of a village lad)l think it was published around 1880-1890. David Barr was a staunch Wesley Methodist and l think a preacher. l'll be eagerly waiting to hear of anyone who may have come across it.. Brenda

Beatrice, can'nt believe you have come across the book i've been searching for years,thank you for the info,what a wonderful thing the internet is.....l've already e-mailed them and looking foreward to a reply. l know the B'ham library has it, but its for reference only and can'nt be loaned out, so hopefully" nuffield college ",won,t have the same ruling,just have to keep my fingers crossed. once again thank you. Brenda

old books

After getting some good leads on searching for my gg uncles book "Climbing the Ladder" author David Barr an autobiography, published 1910 by Robert Culley l've hit a brickwall, the libraries that have it will not let anyone loan it as its for refernce only.so.......if any of you brummies happen to go to old book stores or carboot sales etc you might think about me and my search as l think thats the only way l'll ever get it. David Barr wrote about social history etc in the late 1800s all around B'ham l guess thats why its being used as a reference book. Brenda

Repeat

Brenda,
I didn't see the previous post from Beatrice - she found the same site, but try the other link I sent. Once there, there is an email from the "other links" that perhaps you could use to enquire. Maybe you have discovered this already.
Anne

A big thank you to Beatrice and Anne, for thinking about me and giving those sites to check on, unfortunatly Nuffield College did,nt have the book but gave me lots of info where to look,Baliol library in Oxford is one of them, but once again only for reference as i've found out thats the case with all the libraries l've been in touch with, also copy rites seem to get in the way etc, still not to give up l have many feelers out and hope the book will float to the top sometime., also l've found out l may be able to get my local library to do an international loan request,if so maybe l'll be able to copy it. once again thank you . Brenda

Try putting the title into Ebay from time to time. I have had success doing this.

Yess ebay does have a wanted section go to site map and page down. I think it is on the right hand side

David Barr's book

Hi Bren,

Copies of this book seem a bit like hen's teeth! Only four locations have a copy - the National Library of Scotland, Trinity College Dublin, Oxford, and the British Library Reading Room at St Pancras. :|

I think your request for an international loan may well fail because the item is held at the Reading Room rather than in the stack at Boston Spa,
i.e. it's their sole copy and they are unlikely to let it out of the country.

Two suggestions:

1. Get your title on the wating list at https://www.abebooks.com
Abe Books act as a source using 13,000 dealers throughout the world and, whilst they don't list a copy at the moment, they will notify you if one becomes available and have found items for me in the past, months after I have made the original query.

2. If all else fails, you could try writing a very nice email to Google Books at [email protected] - I'm not saying that they accept requests, but they responded very courteously to two suggestions I made recently and your request might just get a sympathetic ear! Many of the items on Google Books are, in actual fact, microform copies, i.e. they are scanned copies from elsewhere that are now held in American university libraries. Google, having an office in London, might just be able to arrange to scan locally, though having done so, there's no knowing how much of the book they may be able to display online, even though it is now out of UK copyright. The owner of the book has the right, under Google's partnership rules, to stipulate how many of the images Google are allowed to display. When in doubt, Google just displays snippets.

Sorry if my reply was a bit long-winded, but certainly try Abe Books - even if they find a copy, you are under no obligation to buy.

Regards,

Maurice at The LONGMORE Pages
https://www.msheppard.com

Back