• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Searching for a street or building....

ALB10N

master brummie
Is there an easier way to search for a street or building in the Census's rather than ploughing through endless pages....?
I'm using the Census Summary Books on Ancestry to narrow them down, obviously a 'name' would help, but i'm not doing that sort of research.
For Birmingham, you could have Warwickshire, Worcestershire, etc for Residence County....
Then should you happen to know which of those it is, there's then the Civil Parish, Aston, Birmingham, etc & then Sub Registration District Number.

There must be an easier way to do this.... Anyone have any idea?

Cheers in advance

Bill,.. the old, bald, fat & ugly.

Bill, would depend on which years you were looking for, but you may get more joy from the electoral roll sites, where you can search on street name - you have to buy credits to do a search, but it would give you the area and sub district.
Sue

Cheers Sue...
I've already used the Electoral roll site, which helps a lot.
I'm looking for places in 1891, 1901 & 1911 mainly. Not all in Birmingham, but most are.
I just assumed there'd be a breakdown of this information somewhere, at least.

I'll probably transcribe it all myself then post it on here for everyone else, eh?
When i've got a few hours to spare... lol

BiLL

Bill....it is almost impossible on Ancestry doing what you are trying to do......but you can on "find my past", why not try their 14 days free trial ....

Bill...I agree with Aston Lad, it is almost impossible. The only breakdowns available for streets that I know of are found in the Enumerators descriptions for each area, but you need to have a good idea of where you are looking for first and it is a tedious process. But as Aston Lad also says, Find My Past is great for street searches for all census years, because you have the option to search by name or address. I use both sites and a free trial for FMP is a great suggestion...but if you are stuck, put some of the streets you are looking for on the thread and I will see if I have some of them in my records already and can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info.

I'll use FMP once i get all the info together for what i'm looking for. :courage:

Thanks again!

BiLL

There's a website called something like "Pickard's Pink Pages" for Warwickshire. It used to have some census address transcriptions, and loads more besides. It might help to try them.
rosie.

I'm sorry! I just tried to search on their site, it says I can't at the moment in case my network is sending automated requests? I've always found it helpful in the past so hopefully they will be back to normal soon.
rosie.

Cheers for that. :courage: I have used that site before and it'll be very helpful for most of what i want,.. i think? lol

BiLL

Back