• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Searching For 3 Pubs..

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member

the villa tavern...villa st..hockley..demolished early 60s...

the bath tavern..brougham st...next to villa st although i think this came under lozells area...we think this pub was still there in the late 30s...

the globe..corner of hospital st/william st north...newtown...bombed out during ww2...

would love to see these pubs if anyone can help...

cheers..

lyn:)

Last edited:
Lyn
Did you know the licence of the bath tavern was transferred to the College Arms, college Road? Just found thay snippet in checking a book on the offchance it had a photo
Mike

thanks for searching mike...what exactly does having the licence transferred mean. ive added another pub to my list...see post 1

lyn

Last edited:
Before the rash of wine bars and similar abominations there were a very limited number of on-licensees. Often a new pub could only open if another closed and its licence could then be transferred to the new pub. I am sure Astonian, or someone else who has been in the trade could explain more fully,and possibly more accurately
Mike

Lyn
The book just said that the college arms was built about 1930 and that the licence was transferred. The Bath tavern must have closed before the licence was transferred, but , I think, it could have been held in abeyance after the closure of the tavern, so thta's not much help
mike

thanks again mike...i wonder if i could be a right pain but i am really trying to find out when the bath ceased to exist. as a pub..feeling is it was bombed...i was just wondering if looking in the kellys may help out with dates...

lyn

thanks alf but i am not researching the college arms as such..it has just cropped up in connection with the bath tavern..

thanks alf but i am not researching the college arms as such..it has just cropped up in connection with the bath tavern..

I know that Lyn I do read most of the posts and do a lot of searching, but there could have been a clue on that thread

Lyn
I was going to say that unfortunately there is a big gap 1922-1931 in my directories, but it is listed in 1932

1932-33 Bath tavern 16 Brougham st Leslie Lewis Nichols
1936 St Marys Catholic youth club.
But The College Arms was also listed in 1933, but not in 1932. Assuming the bit about transfering the licence to the college Arms is true, then I would assume that they put the College arms in because they knew it was going to be there, although it wasn’t open when the little man came round to do the survey for Kellys, and the Bath tavern was still open, so they put that in also.. Therefore The Bath Tavern would have opened late 1932 - early 1933. At least that is my guess.
Mike

hi all..my search for a pic of the globe is over...will start a new thread under pubs...1 down..2 to go...

lyn

hi folks just flagging this one up again...i have had success in finding a photo of the vine inn villa st and also the globe william st north but alas the bath tavern brougham st still eludes me...if anyone has a photo of this pub or comes across one would love to see it but i fear this one is a very tall order..many thanks

lyn

Last edited:
thanks froth...although not the bath tavern i am seeking ive tagged that site..

lyn

location is on post 1 froth...brougham st lozells and although i always say they are out there somewhere this one is proving very hard to find.it went in the 1930s

There seem to be three taverns of that name. Gooch Street, Mary Street and Brougham Street. I did have a quick search for the Brougham Street one without success.

flagging up again folks...still looking for a photo of the bath tavern brougham st lozells...many thanks

lyn

Lyn

I looked through what I had when you first made this enquiry, but as a few years have passed I have looked again to no avail. Other than what Mike has said about the pub closing between 1932 and 1935 the address was 16 Brougham Street and it had a bowling green at the rear I can add nothing more.

Last edited:
Lyn

I looked through what I had when you first made this enquiry, but as a few years have passed I have looked again to no avail. Other than what Mike has said about the pub closing between 1932 and 1935 the address was 16 Brougham Street and it had a bowling green at the rear I can add nothing more.

yes thanks phil....ive done extensive research on this pub and street and before the bowling green there was a large plunging baths there...never say never i shall keep on searching

lyn

just updating ....i have a photo now of the villa tavern villa street...alas my search still goes on for one of the bath tavern brougham st lozells

lyn

flagging up again folks....a photo of the bath tavern brougham st lozells still evades me so if anyone has one i would love to see it

many thanks

lyn

Back