• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elizabeth Moseley

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

I am reviving my family history by having another attempt to identify lost relatives from 1800s. The first family I am interested in are seemingly absent from the 1891 Census. They are Rowland, Mary Ann, Julia Alice, Elizabeth and Walter Moseley (Moseley often misspelled as Mousley, Mawsley etc).

I am keen to exhaust all search options as I am trying to establish what happened to the daughter, Elizabeth Moseley. I know they lived at 22 Brearley Street West from 1873 to 1881 and wonder whether they were still there in 1891, but I am not sure you can search census records by address?

If I can find them in 1891 and Elizabeth is still living with them, it narrows my search field for establishing whether she died or got married (she is not living with them in 1901). She is not the Elizabeth Moseley who married Joseph Perry even though birthdate suggests so. She could possibly be the Eliza Moseley who ended up in Torquay as a domestic, but why change to Eliza and it just does not add up.

Thanks.

You certainly can on FindMyPast, not sure about Ancestry. On FMP go to the Census pape, select the Census you want from "All Record Sets" (top right), and the page will come up with the option to select by Persons or by Address. Hope that helps.

Maurice :cool:

~This is complicated , as between the 1881 & 1891 censuses Brearley St west was combined with Brearley St and the numbering of the house thus altered. All that I can determine from directories is that the old no 15 Brearley st West became 185 Brearley St and no 28 became 205. I have examined all the houses on the1891 census between 185 and 205, and these names do not appear.

I see that they had a daughter, Dorothy born 1892. An address from her birth certificate might be a better guide.

Whilst not definitive the 1901 census lists her birthplace as Aston Manor whereas Brearley St appears to come under Birmingham.

Also they appear to have daughter, Marion b1889 who dies young. Could be an address there too.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Quick responses. I am trying to exhaust my Ancestry and other online resources before ordering certificates. But yes that is an option in terms of establishing the address at that time, but I would need to use Find My Past to do a street search on that address it seems. Thanks to Mike Gee for searching on Brearley Street. I had no idea on Marion!

Seems strange that they all evaded the census, but I guess that happened. I have a fairly complete jigsaw of 19th C family tree, but a few missing pieces which I am becoming a bit obsessive over!

Mr Zippy,

I've just had a look at Brearley Street by address, but there are over 67 Courts, each with many houses, and a total of 447 addresses in what seems like not a very logical order. Needless to say I gave up as the lowest number I came across was 68.

Hi,

I am reviving my family history by having another attempt to identify lost relatives from 1800s. The first family I am interested in are seemingly absent from the 1891 Census. They are Rowland, Mary Ann, Julia Alice, Elizabeth and Walter Moseley (Moseley often misspelled as Mousley, Mawsley etc).

I am keen to exhaust all search options as I am trying to establish what happened to the daughter, Elizabeth Moseley. I know they lived at 22 Brearley Street West from 1873 to 1881 and wonder whether they were still there in 1891, but I am not sure you can search census records by address?

If I can find them in 1891 and Elizabeth is still living with them, it narrows my search field for establishing whether she died or got married (she is not living with them in 1901). She is not the Elizabeth Moseley who married Joseph Perry even though birthdate suggests so. She could possibly be the Eliza Moseley who ended up in Torquay as a domestic, but why change to Eliza and it just does not add up.

Thanks.
You could try entering like this (see attached), I had success like this, if this fails just put Brearley in the keyword. Just tried it as Mosely and there were some results but have not checked them.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 16
One other thing I forgot to mention, the street is spread over two piece numbers and although it is the same street, one is spelt Brearley and the other Brearly. FMP brought them both up as the same street, which they are, but that's not to say that Ancestry will act in the same way when the street is entered as a keyword.

But, as you see from post 4, they are not listed in the 1891 census in the group of buildings in which they were in in 1881

I see that they had a daughter, Dorothy born 1892. An address from her birth certificate might be a better guide.

Whilst not definitive the 1901 census lists her birthplace as Aston Manor whereas Brearley St appears to come under Birmingham.

Also they appear to have daughter, Marion b1889 who dies young. Could be an address there too.

HI MWS, could I trouble you on the Marion Moseley record you identified. Ancestry and FREEBMD identify a birth for her in 1899, but no other viable records. She is not the MM who died in 1945 in Birmingham. Do you have anything that links the MM born 1899 with Rowland Moseley or is it just the Aston birthplace and what did you see that suggests she dies young. Sorry for the bother, but I had not been aware of her before your response. Thanks.

The birth in 1889 is registered with mmn Barlow and that was Mary Ann's surname before marriage, I think.
Not sure about dying young.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There are a couple of other Moseley/Barlow birth registrations.

Henry registered Bham 1880, death the same.

Florence registered Bham 1886, died young registered Bham 1887.

Which suggests that they moved from Bham to Aston between Florence's death 1887 and Marion's birth 1889. Though nothing is certain.

Last edited:
Found the death record for Marian - there is a burial at Witton for Sept 1889 which fits. Also a burial there for a Henry in 1880. Possibly also Florence.
The Florence birth and death need checking carefully as there are 2 possible deaths for a Florence one in Aston b and died 1886 and the other Birmingham b abt 1886 and died 1887. Most likely the Birmingham one not the Aston one. Looks as if both are buried at Witton.

Last edited:
The Aston Florence's death was registered Mar 1886 whilst the Moseley/Barlow Florence's Bham birth wasn't registered until Sep 1886.

Hi both. Thanks - Fascinating. Also a bit depressing. Are you gaining this from searching Moseley/Barlow on GRO site? I have three main Moseley family groups in 19th C and I have searched using surname and Mother/Father using Ancestry in an attempt to sweep up all the children, but these three have not been revealed before. Makes me wonder whether there are others I am missing, especially if like these they were born and died in between Census periods.

Yes, the gro site. It has its limitations but as far as I know it's the only one that displays mmn prior to 1911.

You can also discover children that just happen to not be on a census with the parents for some reason.

MWS,

Find My Past also displays mmn back into the mid 1860s, though there might me one or two holes - or maybe more illegitimate births! :)

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back