• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Seager Street

YatesClan

Brummie babby
Afternoon

I dont suppose anyone has any photos or recollections of Seager Street do they? My grandfather lived and died in 1955 and I think his old house was demolished some time ago. Would love any info that anyone would like to share.

Thanks

we have a section for streets so i am moving this thread...where exactly was seager st its a new name to me

lyn

could you tell us where seager st was or is...the only one i can find at the moment is in west bromwich not birmingham and there are quite a few houses still there that would have been there in the 50s...also a house number could prove useful

I think, it was basically around the area of the car park for the Crown and Cushion - I mighe be completely wrong but thats based off family recollections so not really sure.

It's the only Seagar Street on the 1939 register.

There are a John E & Harriet A Yates at no. 22.

Hmm, I mustve missed that, didnt realise there were others on the same road! I know my grandad didnt move there until around 1945 but I cant find any pictures or records or anything for those last ten years or so.

I think, it was basically around the area of the car park for the Crown and Cushion - I mighe be completely wrong but thats based off family recollections so not really sure.

yes i think you could be correct about the location of his house looks like quite a bit of demo was done in the street most likely leaving the better houses that look to be built in the 30s

lyn

This aerial view of the War Memorial in Dartmouth Park was taken in 1946 and it shows part of Seager Street. I think that number 3 is one the old houses to the left of the Crown & Cushion Pub. I need to find an old map with house numbers on it to confirm this.
SeagerSt.jpg
to save the above image - 'left click' it and then 'right click' - 'save as'

A similar view today shows that the old houses have been demolished
SeagerNow.jpg

well done phil i agree about no 3 most likely just to the left of the pub...i wonder if anyone can find out for certain..ie what is the number of the pub..it may help us confirm

Hmm, I mustve missed that, didnt realise there were others on the same road! I know my grandad didnt move there until around 1945 but I cant find any pictures or records or anything for those last ten years or so.

Probably just a concidence, at least until proven otherwise.

thats great mike so no 3 is the first house to the left of the pub on the overhead photo..i think thats the best we are going to get which is better than nothing

cheers

lyn

thats great phil..wish i could get a close up like that of the house i grew up in..i am sure that yatesclan will be delighted

lyn

OMG OMG - you have no idea how happy I am with that, that is amazing. My dad will be ridiculously happy. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So, I was really happy Dad not so much so, didnt realise how many not so happy memories it would bring up. Thank you so much for finding this for me, I appreciate it so much, makes some of Dad's tales of being a kid have a whole new depth.

i think that wherever we have lived most of us will have a mixture of good and bad memories its part of life but so pleased that we were able to find you a shot of your grandads home..

lyn

Back