• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scruffy little urchin

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Yes folks this me about 2, what a scruff bag.
That coat is strategically held together by a safety pin inside. A hand me down from 4 elder brothers

My coat was posher. The lady from the post office was a bit posh and used to give me her daughters cast offs in exchange for mom doing knitting for her. The one was like wearing a teddy bear. Lovely dog what was his name?. G G Jean. ps. Can't remember anything brand new when I was a child. Always clean though.

Always as I imagined you Froth now if you had changed your name?

My coat was posher. The lady from the post office was a bit posh and used to give me her daughters cast offs in exchange for mom doing knitting for her. The one was like wearing a teddy bear. Lovely dog what was his name?. G G Jean. ps. Can't remember anything brand new when I was a child. Always clean though.

I remember that day. It belonged to a chap who went round taking photo of kids with it, I was petrified of it

Now if I had used this there would be riots

View attachment 18654

You may wonder why I was so clean, well we were so poor on Washday Mom used me as a scrubbing board.

I don't think they like us Frothy

Last edited:
This was taken in 1956 whilst in our Sunday best. Struth, the poverty we must have lived in. No coats in our house....I am in the front row far left with one of my dads experimental haircuts.

Hi John love the bracers. See what you mean maybe he slipped. That was the fashion a few years ago with the kids. I lived in Holte road and my husband Witton road. TTFN. Jean.

Lloyd you look a very sad little boy but your dog is happy to be your friend.

I loved all your photos. Alf you looked angelic!!! John - well you just looked cheeky! and Frothblower - what a sweetie!

I had Dog in those days but it died, then I had a White Mouse and the Cat killed it.

Don't know what happened to the Cat Froth

How about these bracers that my brother was wearing for this photograph in 1957? That's me at the back... I hope I got a threepenny bit off the tooth fairy? Mayfield

Lloyd you look a very sad little boy but your dog is happy to be your friend.
That was Frothblower, not me, I was always scared of dogs!
Anyway, I was never a scruffy urchin, I was always kept neat and tidy as a boy (a way of life I have successfully fought against ever since!) and was always properly dressed, even when playing on the beach!

Beach,Spade never seen them till I came out of the Army in 1957

That was Frothblower, not me, I was always scared of dogs!
Anyway, I was never a scruffy urchin, I was always kept neat and tidy as a boy (a way of life I have successfully fought against ever since!) and was always properly dressed, even when playing on the beach!

Them knees need a good scrubbing young man!

Found this one of me and my Dad out for the night with the family at The Heavon Bridge Chinese. Considering that I like Chinese and probably had wine and brandy you think I could have looked a bit more appreciative. Miserable git!

Don't worry David, I was like that most of the time and still am according to ALL my family. Till they want MONEY

Back