• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scribbans Bakery

I worked for a small bakery called Grants in Chadwick End from the time I left school at 15 yrs ,It was taken over by Scribbans about 1962 , I passed my driving test in a Morris J bread van at Kings Heath in 1963, I became one of the youngest people to have his own round at 18yrs and travelled every morning to Lodge Rd Hockley to collect my bread and cakes and return to my round serving Chadwick End ,Lapworth, Rowington and Lowsonford 6 days a week, I remember my supervisors name at that time was Wally Otley, Happy days for my first employment, remember the motto Sunblest the sign of good bread.
Geoff Smith

I worked for a small bakery called Grants in Chadwick End from the time I left school at 15 yrs ,It was taken over by Scribbans about 1962 , I passed my driving test in a Morris J bread van at Kings Heath in 1963, I became one of the youngest people to have his own round at 18yrs and travelled every morning to Lodge Rd Hockley to collect my bread and cakes and return to my round serving Chadwick End ,Lapworth, Rowington and Lowsonford 6 days a week, I remember my supervisors name at that time was Wally Otley, Happy days for my first employment, remember the motto Sunblest the sign of good bread.
Geoff Smith
Nice piece of personal history Geoff. Welcome to The Forum, enjoy!

Geoff Smith
Geoff, "my" Scribbans J series had an upturned box for the passenger, don't think it would have met the requirements of a driving examiner!

Hi there! Long time since this thread was added to. Came across it while researching my ancestry etc. Hope the original poster is still alive and well!?
The name Scribbens and Little Aston halll came up in my family history and I thought I might add to it.
Although I’m not from the Birmingham area myself, my genealogy history is very much entrenched around Sutton Coldfield and particularly Little Aston. At some point during the 1700’s my predecessors moved themselves to where work and skilled labour was needed in the industrial heart lands.
It turns out that my great grandfather was head gardener/groundsman for the Scribbens’ at little Aston Hall for many years. They lived as a family in one of the gate houses. His son, my grand father, George James Meadows, took up the mantle as head gardener when the former retired, and also served in the fire brigade during the war, in bombed out Coventry. Not a job for the faint hearted!

His family left the service of Aston Hall after the war and settled in Weston super Mare, where the local mud and sea air apparently helped his rheumatism. My father, James, grew up there by the sea, as did I.
He used to tell me of the great kindness that the Scribbens family afforded my forefathers and their families. I didn’t know what line of business brought them wealth enough to live in Little Aston Hall, until reading on here their connection to bakeries in the Birmingham area.
Wonderful to find such historical snippets and piece together what has always been vague, handed down information.
Thanks to those who contributed!
Regards, Pete

Back