• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scribbans Bakery

The 1912 Kellys lists
Scribbans & Co. wholesale cake manufacturers, Corbett st. Smethwick (T A " Scribbans ; " T N 213 Smethwick) 1 & bakers, 60 Lodge road
There is a bit of difference between oilcake,manufacturer and cake manufacturer, but presumably the same (Oilcake manufacturers would normally be people who pressed linseed, or possibly rapeseed or similar seeds, to produce an oil , leaving the cake which would probably be used for cattle feed)
Oh !! Well, I saw the thread Sribbans Bakery & assumed it was cake using oil as a shortening ingredient !

I am not saying definitely hey are not related. It does say oilseed and bakery. Possibly they later left the oilseed business.

More info here about Scribbans bakery owners.

Last edited:
More info here about Scribbans bakery owners.
Thanks BOB.

Oil cake seems to have been made from linseed and was used to feed cattle.

Scribbans were suppliers of slab cake to army and navy contractors during WW1. Remember slab cake ? We used to often have this at home. Viv.

Oil cake seems to have been made from linseed and was used to feed cattle.

Scribbans were suppliers of slab cake to army and navy contractors during WW1. Remember slab cake ? We used to often have this at home. Viv.
Ok Mike & Viv, so oilcake is for cattle. Now slabcake at the time, was it full of raisins something like Xmas cake? I found on internet an old recipe called World War 1 cake which doesn't have any eggs, milk or butter in it, but lots of spices and uses oil for instance as shortening; I made it yesterday, wasn't bad at all, and somewhat like ginger bread.

The slab cake I remember was full of dried fruit. I think it was made that way because it had a longer shelf life. I guess the WW1 trenches cake would have been similar as it would have survived transporting over time.

I too wondered if oil had been used in Scribbans' cakes at one time. It's a good possibility. Any Scribbans advertising doesn't seem to mention it, but then they probably wouldn't as it would have been regarded as inferior to butter.

Viv.

At the time of WW1- although as I wan't about then I cannot guarantee it :grinning:- there was less legislation regarding food labelling and the composition of products, more over there were no best before and similar styled dates.
The Llandudno link, post 93#, is quite interesting. An earlier post. from memory, stated that Ada died in Llandudno.
North Wales seems to have been a popular area before WW2 for Midlanders. Apparently I was taken to Rhyl just before the war, but at a very tender age recall nothing of it.

We have just acquired the 1934 Rolls Royce model 20/25 two door fixed head coupe, that Harry Scribbans bought for his Wife Ada in 1934. It is still in fabulous condition, and like their house in Llandudno "Villa Marina" , the interior is heavily influenced by the "Art Deco" period. It is very stylish, and Harry had the body designed by Atcherley Coachbuilders of Birmingham. They were excellent craftsmen, and the car today is a testament to their quality works. If you would like to see photos of it, there are many on our website, www.classic-car-london.com Ada Scribbans owned this car until she passed away in 1954, and there have been three others since then. The history and provenance can be traced for this car from day 1. the registration number of this car is ADA888, and it has always been affectionately known as "ADA"
Why shouldn't it be right, Glennys? Or as much as any family legend is? I assume it ties in with the period of the Scribbans's ownership of Little Aston Hall. And they were well off and living in a grand house and so would in all probability have had staff with the sort of responsibility which your grandmother had.

My only knowledge comes from WW2 when Mrs. Scribbans was still there and a widow by then. I've seen mention (?in this thread) of her two Rolls-Royces being serviced by a local garage in the late 1940s, although that wasn't in Streetly itself. There WAS a garage in Streetly village in the 1940s (and no doubt earlier) just by the side of the railway bridge. Was it called Hall's Garage? I'm struggling to remember.

What was your grandfather's name?

Welcome back, by the way!

Chris

We have just acquired the 1934 Rolls Royce model 20/25 two door fixed head coupe, that Harry Scribbans bought for his Wife Ada in 1934. It is still in fabulous condition, and like their house in Llandudno "Villa Marina" , the interior is heavily influenced by the "Art Deco" period. It is very stylish, and Harry had the body designed by Atcherley Coachbuilders of Birmingham. They were excellent craftsmen, and the car today is a testament to their quality works. If you would like to see photos of it, there are many on our website, www.classic-car-london.com Ada Scribbans owned this car until she passed away in 1954, and there have been three others since then. The history and provenance can be traced for this car from day 1. the registration number of this car is ADA888, and it has always been affectionately known as "ADA"
Fabulous. A decent item of history preserved. Well done.

Last edited:
Wonderful to learn that at least one of these cars has survived. My late brother mentioned Mrs Scribbans's two Rolls-Royces in a memoir about his Home Guard service in a platoon based at Little Aston Hall (and commanded by his and my father):

.....The look-out site was upon the roof of Little Aston Hall, gained by ascending two or three iron ladders secured to the exterior walls. At that time, the Hall was still privately owned and occupied by a certain Mrs. Ada Scribbans, the wealthy widow of a local bakery proprietor. The platoon headquarters was in a disused part of the old stable block, which opened out on to a sizeable square, useful for parades. One side contained a large garage, inside which stood two black Rolls-Royce motor cars, bearing the number plates ADA 1 and ADA 2. I never saw these outside, and assumed that they had been laid up "for the duration". The stables served as guardroom and as the platoon office....

In fact this memory was later corrected by someone who, after the war, used to service the two cars: they were silver, not black and their registration numbers were ADA 888 and ADA 999. I too visited the stables during the war but never saw the cars either, to my regret. But they were certainly known about.

I have some cine film of the Home Guard platoon parading in the courtyard of Little Aston Hall stables. Unfortunately, again, the garage doors are firmly closed and so no record of the cars as they were in 1941 appears to survive. So near and yet so far!

Chris

I hope Robert Bentley doesn't mind, but here is a 2020 image of the 1934 car, from his website. A change of colour at some stage during its 86 year life. I like to imagine it gliding around the lanes of 1930s South Staffordshire, almost certainly chauffeur driven and with Mrs. Scribbans sitting regally in the back.....

Chris

Rolls.jpg

I wonder who initially supplied Harry with his two Rolls Royce cars. The *DA series was a Wolverhampton registration so he would not have needed to look far away from home.

My mom Nora Archer had very fond memories of working at Scribbans at I think Smethwick around 1959 -1962. She remembers being sent home with her cousin for being late back from lunch. They told the supervisor that they had been watching I think Watch with Mother. He told them that’s ok girls you can can go home and watch Pinky and Perky now. He sent them packing and they had half a days pay docked.
It must have been working here that my mom developed a long lasting fondness for Pineapple Creams and broken biscuits that she passed on to her children.

My mom Nora Archer had very fond memories of working at Scribbans at I think Smethwick around 1959 -1962. She remembers being sent home with her cousin for being late back from lunch. They told the supervisor that they had been watching I think Watch with Mother. He told them that’s ok girls you can can go home and watch Pinky and Perky now. He sent them packing and they had half a days pay docked.
It must have been working here that my mom developed a long lasting fondness for Pineapple Creams and broken biscuits that she passed on to her children.
Welcome to the Forum Sharon! Unfortunately I know Pineapple Creams too well and broken biscuits goes without saying :)

In the early 1970s, GKN owned Little Aston Hall and held management courses there and on one occasion I stayed overnight. If a daytime lecture became boring, I used to look up at a wonderful ceiling fresco and wonder about the meaning of it ... :)
Two aerial photos taken in 1933.
From the lake
little_aston_hall1_1933.jpg

Towards the lake.
Little_Aston_hall2.jpg
images from 'britainfromabove'

In the early 1970s, GKN owned Little Aston Hall and held management courses there and on one occasion I stayed overnight. If a daytime lecture became boring, I used to look up at a wonderful ceiling fresco and wonder about the meaning of it ... :)
Two aerial photos taken in 1933.
From the lake
View attachment 160642

Towards the lake.
View attachment 160643
images from 'britainfromabove'
Would you be able to pinpoint on googlemaps exactly where the hall was please

Would you be able to pinpoint on googlemaps exactly where the hall was please
'Little Aston Hall' is now a large private hospital with many buildings in the grounds. It is down a drive from the A454 road which leads off a main road A452 which is the Chester Road. As you can see type the location and Google Maps finds it. Apple maps does similar.
LitAstHall.jpg

A computer assisted 3D view below as of today matching the 1937 view. The Scribbans family would have recognised this view ... :)
LittleAstonHall now.jpg
Wikipedia shows that it is Grade II listed and gives much other information

Last edited:
End of the family home
hall.JPG

Thanks, blairallan, that's an interesting cutting.

In the latter half of the 1940s, and later, I used to travel to school every day upstairs on the Midland Red double-decker from Streetly to Sutton (the no. 101). I was interested in cars and looked every morning down on a large modern house in Lichfield Road, just along from Four Oaks Station in the direction of Tamworth Road. From time to time the garage door was open and I was fascinated to note that the household boasted two cars: a Rolls-Royce and a large, gleaming Buick. Two of my favourite cars and it seemed to me that the owner had the best of both worlds!

75 years later, I'm now wondering whether this had become the home of Ada Scribbans. I wish I could remember the registration numbers......

Chris

Back