• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yorkswood York’s Wood camp site Castle Bromwich

arealpal

proper brummie kid
Hi Everyone
Just a quick note if there is anyone out there with any information on the Yorkswood Scout Campsite please get in touch.As i run a scout group in the same area as the camp and we are trying to work out were various areas of the camp were and what is left there now.
All photos are welcomed as these will help trying to piece this puzzle together.
Areapal

i am in birmingham england and the yorkswood campsite was situated between Shard End And Kingshurst

My brother, Peter camped a few times in Yorkswood over 50 years ago with one of the Erdington Packs of both Scouts and Cubs. I have a photo but it is of a small group and unless you knew it was Yorkswood you wouldn't know. There are no distinguishing features available. I suggest you contact the Scouts organization and ask them if they have any records. I have my brother's kit list. Sadly, he is deceased so I can't asked him about Yorkswood. I remember one of the songs they used at the Campfire though:

Back to Yorkswood
Happy Landings
I'm going to get my ticket if I can

unfortunately the scout organisation dont have a lot of information as i am a scout leader and i have already asked around there,so i am now seeking information from anyone who camped there and has photos .I have a good knowledge so far of the site but not many documents.I also know were a lot of the buildings went to and a lot of the other items like the bell and totenpole etc

Oh! what happy days.

I was a leader with St Mary's, Handsworth. I did my Part 1 Woodbadge there in 1962 and then Part 11 in 1963.

We took our cubs camping there with leaders and their packs from Erdington. I am still in touch with some of those friends, some are still involved in Scouting in Erdington and Sutton.

My brother was a Yorks Wood Rover, so I will email him and ask if he has any of the maps or photos of the site.

I am sure anyone who went will remember swimming with the frogs in the pool and the campfire hollows in the woods. The Tuck shop was always a popular spot and long line ups when the boy's had free time. The first aid post was looked after by the Yorks Wood Rovers.

I think most of us will remember the layout of the camp, so if you have any questions please feel free to email me. :2funny: ;D :)

Jennyanne

Thank you for reminding me of the old Yorks Wood song.

We all used to sing it as we left the came fire hollow and I can still remember the tune. Mo :smitten: :smitten:

Okay, all those old scouters join together now.

Back to Yorkswood
Happy Landings
I'm going to get my ticket if I can

That sounds, great keep it going. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Mo

This is a photo of  St Mary's cubs pacs at Yorkswood 1962.

Maybe some of the cubs might recognize themselves. 

I'm the cub leader on the rock. I think a sister of one of the cubs came to visit.

Hope you don't have to reduce this Rod.

Last edited:
maureen
The photos are great i have managed to get a lot more photos including the mckenzie hut ellis island the hospital hut and lots more i also have a ration card for campers and the rules and regulations of the site and i have found the original Ellis island sign which i will email to you as i dont know how to get it on the site.And i would like to thank all of you for your help.
i am awaiting the words to the campfire song from an old scouter called dave baxter some of you might know him most of the scouts and cubs call him baden powell.
Alan

Alan,  Thanks for the great photos of Yorkswood and the map of the site..

I thought other people on the forum might be interested, so I  hope you don't mind but I am attaching them.

I will send them on three postings saying what they are.

This is a map of Yorkswood Scout Camp as it was.    :smitten: :smitten:

Mo

Last edited:
This is Ellis Island.

Everyone entering the camp had to report here and they were very strict about that.  There was always a camp chief, so if you did something wrong you knew about it. 

As you will see from the map, there were several other cabins like this.   

Last edited:
Hi Everyone
It has gone very quiet on here just a quick update on the Yorkswood site.Thanks maureen your friend has rang me and he is full of information and is helping a lot. Also several people have been in touch who were leaders there the first is Mr Chris Malcolm he was the deputy warden at yorkswood roundabout 66 if anyone wants to contact him let me know.I have got a load of photos from the county but i am going to hold on to them as if i put them on the site everyone sends them back to me as i am asking for photos.If any of you want a copy of the finished cd when it is done also let me know.Dont forget any info send it over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All
I now have the words for the song you were all singing i think it goes like this courtesy of jim perkins

YORKSWOOD CAMPFIRE SONG

I used to be a Wolf Cub and a jolly good Wolf Cub too.
But now I've finished Cubbing I don't know what to do.
I'm growing old and feeble and cannot Cub no more,
So I'm going to get my ticket if I can.

Chorus: Back to York's Wood happy land!
I'm going to get my ticket if I can.

I used to be a Boy Scout and a jolly good Boy Scout too.
But now I've finished Scouting I don't know what to do.
I'm growing old and feeble and cannot Scout no more,

I used to be a Senior and a jolly good Senior too.
But now I've finished Seniors I don't know what to do.

Chorus: Back to (York's Wood) happy land!

"I used to be a Rover and a jolly good Rover too.
But now I've finished Scouting I don't know what to do.

I'm going to get my ticket if I can.​

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Alan,

I have found an original photo of the Griffins ontop of Lewis's Roof. The origins of the Griffins were that they were on a building called Newbury's. Lewis's bought Newbury's out. During the refurb of Lewis's a competition was held for everyone in Birmingham to have a say as to where they would like to see the Griffins reside. Someone put the Scout Campsite forward ( I have yet to find out who nominated Yorks Wood Campsite), subsequently the campsite was chosen. Somewhere out there are another 3 Griffins as Newbury's had 9 altogether on their building. I also have information as to the 2 totem poles. 1 was made by the Rover Crew and the other was made a Scout Leader called Mr Bloxham and his Troop 111th Birmingham. The Totem poles flanked the main gate.

Info on Cox Sparrow Farm you wanted, it was as we thought on the site now occupied by Gaurdian Angel Church. The Farm was put under compulsary purchase in 1937 along with 2 other farms in the area.

Check out www.Heartlandshistory.com/id35.htm they have some pictures of the Chief Scout Mclean visit to Yorks Wood Camp-siteplus a few others

Will be in touch when the rest of my info and photos arrive

Yours in Scouting

Julie Neary G.S.L. 229th Scout Group Yorks Wood.

I have more info

does anybody know where the woodman pub was situated round by yorkswood campsite where the scouters used?

alan Rumour has it that it was just at the back of Horne Way, I will find out for sure

Julie

The Yorks Wood was on Kendrick Avenue, if you follow the path from the Scout Hut passed the Griffins to to the end the pub would have 50 yrds in front of you.

Thanks Rob
Did you drink in there as someone told me the interior of the pub had a load of scouting pictures and memorabilia scattered around the place do you know if this is true.
alan

Yes i did the lounge was named the Jamborie [ have i spelt that right ] and yes there were a lot pictures ect I am sure if you contacted Banks brewery they would help.

hi rob
we have contacted the brewary and they have supplied us with a list of landlords and addresses but unfortunately people do move on but apparently one of the old barmaids work at the two hands now.

Dear Robert, I passed on the email to Alan today that you sent me regarding the names of the liscences of the Wood man. The name I was given for the Liscencee of the 2 hands is Pat Keenglan, if that's any help.
Julie

Alan,

Have just had info come through about the translation of Ellis Island. The meaning of Ellis Island was taken from Ellis Island in America where immigrants were to report on first arriving to ' the land of opportunity ' someone had the idea that if all campers were to report to Ellis Island a land of opportunity awaitsn for them. Can anyone else confirm this information?

Yes, I can in a way. I am a member of the Ellis Island, New York website. This is due to the fact that one of my ancestors emigrated to the United States and all immigrants wentthrough Ellis Island on arrival. I wanted more information so I joined the site about a year a o. The very large buildings that were used to process the immigrants on arrival is now a musem with many many visitors year round. The history of that place is very important in contemporary American history since so many people came to America over the years from all over the world and contriibuted to the country. If you have any relatives that emigrated to the United States over the past century then this is a good place to start looking for them to trace.

https://www.nps.gov/elis/

https://www.ellisisland.org/

Someone can probably confirm that the Ellis Island reference at Yorks Wood was
named after the American - Ellis Island.

Jennyann Thanks for the info. I really hope that our Ellis Island is connected to the meaning of your Ellis Island. It would be wonderful to have that connection with such an important part of your history.

Thank you

Julie

Hi Areapal:

Here is the information on my brother's list of gear to take to camp at Yorkswood in the
year 1948.
1 Rubber ground sheet ( bought at Army and Navy Surplus Stores)
1 sleeping bag(could be bought at Army & Navy Surplus stores) or two blankets if no bag.
Pillow
1 set of regular clothes
Extra pair of shoes/or wellington boots
1 bathing costume
Knife
Fork
Spoon
1 Enamel Plate ( large size) with name on
1 Enamel Tea Mug with name on
1 Towel with soap bar and toothpaste and brush
Uniform (full set) Shirt, trousers, neckerchief, woggle, sock tabs, cap

Hopefully, I can get the photo of his group scanned soon.

Should add that there is no mention of a tent in the list. I seem to remember that the Pack my brother belonged to owned their own very large Bell Tent (war surplus I believe) which they used for group camping.

Colin,

I remember the swimming pool well.

I decided to go and visit some friends at their cub camp, and on the way went to buy a new watch. When I got there, they were all around the pool deciding whether they wanted to join the frogs and green slime. Before I knew it two of the guys decided I was going to be first in, full clothed, all I could say was mind my watch. Being gentelmen they took my watch off and then threw me in the pool. Boy was it cold.They helped me out and then we all went back to their camp, with me dripping.
As I had only gone for the day and camp fire I had no extra clothes, so without anyone knowing, I went home to Handsworth to get changed. I was scared stiff in case a policeman stopped me for speeding.
By the time I got back the Camp Chief had heard what had happened and given them a lecture and a warning. I never lived it down, and even to this day they all still remember saving my new watch, not me.
Those were great days, and even through we are many miles apart we are still very good friends and have many happy memories. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi All
Just got back from a cub day which went very well based were the site used to be at the 229th, I understand there was a building called mckenzie but not sure about the other one and the only bailey bridge i know is on cole hall lane shard end but i dont know if there was one by the camping grounds. There is a bridge closeby at babbs mill probably this could have had planks on which kept you awake at night. Was any of you at the garden party of 1965 if you were we have found an 8mm roll of film which we have had put onto dvd it shows some pioneering done over the swimming pool and all the public walked accross it.If its possible i may put it on the site for you to look at it was built under the instruction of Mr Len Robinson of the 229th.
Kind Regards
Alan

I was a green & gold cub scout in the 1950. Based at the Methodist Church on Lichfield Road ASTON just before Victoria Road. Mrs Scrivner was our arkaler. The only recall I have of Yorks Wood was that in the hut on site was hanging from the roof beams a very large model of the GOLDEN HIND ? also the war game of take the flag :2funny:.
In later life I met my old Arkaler when as a GEC apprentice I worked for a time in the Swichworks.
We had many Happy tails to recall.
HO HAPPY HAPPY DAYS O0

Dear Aston,

Thanks for the info, we did not know about the Golden Hind, so that is soething else for us to follow up. I don't suppose you have any pictues of it or remember approx the size of it.
It's fab to read such memories from everyone, we are beginning to get a great feel for the place. I only wish I was around in Scouting when the camp was up and running fully.
If you remember anything else please give me another email.
Thanks once again

julie

Back