• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scouts Cubs Boys Brigade Girl Guides Brownies

Ah, shame one or two looking away. Don't know when this was taken, but the girl in the dress in the front looking back could be me I suppose. (Seeing myself everywhere now in all these photos - half imagination maybe). - I seem to be in my school photo twice on the same day!!!

Not confirmed, but chances are it might have been Alexander Stadium as the vice-president of Birchfield Harriers is seen here congratulating the winner.

I’ve seen references to the local scouts using Geo Ellison’s and Kynochs sports grounds, but I doubt they would have been used for this national cross country event. Viv.

7BBA61F5-5B4A-4FF3-B8CD-99EAA9E72F27.jpeg

Yes it could well have been the grounds at the stadium before the shopping centre was built, I didn't think of that! The houses in the background didn't really look like one of the parks.

I was thinking about the ground around where the dog track originally was on the other side of the road but I've probably got myself all mixed up!

what has become of the BB. and the lifeboys..now. i miss all that banging and trumpet blowing coming down the road on a sunday morning when i was in bed...lol

Last edited:
Going back to the handsworth park l believe some time in the late 40s or early 50s that Sir John Hunt took the salute at the Birmingham Scout jamboree after crossing the South Pole on snowcats before his team climbed mount Everest. l was a scout in 120th St Marys Handsworth we had our scout night in the mission hall in Hutton rd.

Two Ward End scout groups combined and ceremonial burning of neckerchiefs. Viv.

A0DA79DC-2FFD-4354-9227-0DF06EC323B6.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

That building looks like Hawthorn House just off the Handsworth Wood Road, Browns Green. It was a library in the 90s and is now privately owned.
image.jpg

Back