• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scouts Cubs Boys Brigade Girl Guides Brownies

Some more history:
  1. Yardley Local Association Boy Scouts 1960 District Rally programme: Contains list of all Yardley Scout groups and meeting places. Rally at Cambell['s'] Green, references to Birmingham Society Model Engineers and train rides (3d!). Adverts for GR Field and WT Simmonds, Church Road Yardley. [yds001.pdf]
  2. Opening of the 298 Scout Hut 1957 - Contains a version of the history and lists group officers. Signed by George Farmer, GSL [yds002.pdf]
  3. Handwritten history of 298th headed '60 Years'. Claims group started in 1934. Name 'Pauline' in the margin. Unsigned. [yds003.pdf]
View attachment 134050
Sid Edrop and his wife (r.h. of ladies in centre).
Fantastic post Spargone - real history!
The Scouting timeline from 1907 onwards shows that that the Air Scout Branch was formed in 1941. From their web page the 298 Silvermere group is shown as having been formed formed in 1941 - coincidence that 298 may have started as a Air Scout Group - our uniform had grey shirts and blue shorts and was different to most scout uniforms.

Particularly liked the references to Jumble sales for fund raising - the times we went calling on houses in Sheldon for stuff to sell then sorting it all in the old hut. Best part was finding old comic annuals and buying them before the doors opened - would be worth a fortune today!

Afraid that nostalgia took over and I found this link which brought back lots of memories (Boy scout tests from 1956 - http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/sha/tests.htm)

Composition of the Union Jack flag? Surprising that so many people dont know when it has been hoisted upside down! Semaphore and morse is a blur but still recall a lot of the first aid techniques, slings bandages, resusitation - what to do if someone falls through ice on a pond, is electrocuted, knots and whippings, making a stretcher from ropes and scout staffs. All useful stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 131221Main article: Scout sign and salute

Many Cub Scout sections also use a two-finger salute. The salute was devised by Robert Baden-Powell and originally represented the two ears of a wolf cub, since the original programme was based on Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book.[3] However, Cubs in several national associations now use the three-finger Scout salute used by the rest of the Scout Movement.

The Brownie Promise 1990:
I promise to do my best​
To do my duty to God​
To serve my Queen & my country​
To help other people​
And to do a good deed every day.​
Motto 1990: Be prepared.

The Brownie Guide Motto, prior to 1996, was:
Lend a hand
View attachment 131219
intersting link on scout salute - http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/yarn03.pdf

A scout rally at Perry Hall Park in 1913. Can’t imagine the charge would be allowed today.
E999F542-DC9E-42D4-B656-77969C3F64F9.jpeg

992B4C43-7A21-4F18-8235-563D7FBB6A26.jpegAnd

And an annual sports event at Cannon Hill Park in 1916.
6DD24737-0D26-46EE-93B7-D9810BDFF6DD.jpeg

Does anyone know the significance of this horse brass? It suggests that Scouts/Guides came from Denmark to Birmingham in 1969 but why and why was the brass manufactured?
scouthb.jpg

Does anyone know if this badge has any special significance apart from showing the 298th as being part of East Birmingham District? I am thinking in terms of special merit or long service.
DSCF2123.JPG

I'm very impressed with everyone remembering the number of their pack! I know I left the Brownies in about 1962 and we used to meet somewhere near Dorrington Road Junior School, Great Barr. Every so often for some reason we used to parade with a flag around where Dorrington Road joins Tower Hill - I always wanted to carry the flag in the leather holder thingy, but maybe because I was only a 2nder Gnome I wasn't high enough. Maybe one had to be a 6er? After this I joined the Dance School just up the road from the Clifton Cinema for ballet, tap and acro. The building is still there - I wonder who meets upstairs nowadays...

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 19
Ah, shame one or two looking away. Don't know when this was taken, but the girl in the dress in the front looking back could be me I suppose. (Seeing myself everywhere now in all these photos - half imagination maybe). - I seem to be in my school photo twice on the same day!!!

Not confirmed, but chances are it might have been Alexander Stadium as the vice-president of Birchfield Harriers is seen here congratulating the winner.

I’ve seen references to the local scouts using Geo Ellison’s and Kynochs sports grounds, but I doubt they would have been used for this national cross country event. Viv.

7BBA61F5-5B4A-4FF3-B8CD-99EAA9E72F27.jpeg

Yes it could well have been the grounds at the stadium before the shopping centre was built, I didn't think of that! The houses in the background didn't really look like one of the parks.

I was thinking about the ground around where the dog track originally was on the other side of the road but I've probably got myself all mixed up!

what has become of the BB. and the lifeboys..now. i miss all that banging and trumpet blowing coming down the road on a sunday morning when i was in bed...lol

Last edited:
Going back to the handsworth park l believe some time in the late 40s or early 50s that Sir John Hunt took the salute at the Birmingham Scout jamboree after crossing the South Pole on snowcats before his team climbed mount Everest. l was a scout in 120th St Marys Handsworth we had our scout night in the mission hall in Hutton rd.

Two Ward End scout groups combined and ceremonial burning of neckerchiefs. Viv.

A0DA79DC-2FFD-4354-9227-0DF06EC323B6.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

That building looks like Hawthorn House just off the Handsworth Wood Road, Browns Green. It was a library in the 90s and is now privately owned.
image.jpg

Back