• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scouts Cubs Boys Brigade Girl Guides Brownies

The promise I made under the Union Jack on passing the tenderfoot stage and becoming a member of the 298th Birmingham...
... our scout leader (Les Humphries) told us that we had originally been an Air Scout group

We also had a scout band. Wanted to play the drums but so did everyone else so there were only places for buglers. My friend and I were allowed to take our bugles home to practice.
Might this photo be of the 298th Scout Band? It is labelled 26th May Wed, Rob. Butts on the back. (Which suggest 1954 or
1965).
scoutb.jpg
At one time Les Humphries had a motorbike and sidecar. He offered to take me home one evening from some event at St. Giles' school hall and it was a bit of a shock to see his bike as I had expected a car! I think Les lived at the top of Bayford Avenue. He had a daughter, Joyce, who I think might have been Akela at some time. Other scoutmasters were George Farmer and Frank Bragg

Might this photo be of the 298th Scout Band? It is labelled 26th May Wed, Rob. Butts on the back. (Which suggest 1954 or
1965).
View attachment 134039
At one time Les Humphries had a motorbike and sidecar. He offered to take me home one evening from some event at St. Giles' school hall and it was a bit of a shock to see his bike as I had expected a car! I think Les lived at the top of Bayford Avenue. He had a daughter, Joyce, who I think might have been Akela at some time. Other scoutmasters were George Farmer and Frank Bragg
That would be Les Eadrop who looked after 298 B and his wife was Akela. They lived on the corner of Bayford and Goldthorne. In 1965 Frank Bragg was in charge of 298A. He lived in Melton Avenue. His two sons Dick and Tim were also in 298A. Around that time he was replaced by by Les Humphries and Kim Checkley ( both lived near Greenvale Avenue/Silvermere Road). There was also a Canadian guy named Bob from Parkdale Road - he was part of the fire crew at Birmingham airport. Re the photo - not sure this is the 298 Group - not aware of terraced houses in the Sheldon area. Most of their parades were in Church Road and along the Radleys - but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
That would be Les Edrop who looked after 298 B. He and his wife lived on corner of Bayford and Goldthorne. In 1965 it was Frank Bragg that took 298A. He lived in Melton Avenue. His two sons Dick and Tim were also in 298A. Around that time he was assisted by Les Humphries, Kim Checkley and a Canadian guy called Bob from Parkdale Road who worked in fire crew at Birmingham airport.
I didn't know there was a 298A and 298B. When I was a member I thought it was just Monday night troop and Friday night troop. I remember Frank, the scoutmaster, who also worked I think part time at Vaughan Motors on the petrol pumps. I had no knowledge that the troop was originally formed as an air scout troop. I can't remember the exact dates I was there and there was certainly no band as far as I was aware but I really enjoyed those Friday nights and "wide games" in the park.

I didn't know there was a 298A and 298B. When I was a member I thought it was just Monday night troop and Friday night troop. I remember Frank, the scoutmaster, who also worked I think part time at Vaughan Motors on the petrol pumps. I had no knowledge that the troop was originally formed as an air scout troop. I can't remember the exact dates I was there and there was certainly no band as far as I was aware but I really enjoyed those Friday nights and "wide games" in the park.
The A and B is news to me too! My dad was treasurer for many years and those designations never appeared on the accounts. The air scout origin is new too and certainly doesn't figure in the earliest account of the troops origin, but then the history wasn't written down until a significant anniversary was reached and there were no original members. That history tells us that the original scout hut, in St. Giles' paddock, was made from materials recovered from the ack-ack huts at the Yew Tree, the 'air' connection?

UPDATE
A. Painter Esq. (of the Undertakers of that name), opened the 'New Headquarters', Church Road Sheldon 28th September 1957. The history included with the announcement says " The formation of the group began under the leadership of Mr T.G. King who held Air Scout meetings in a small troop room, in Sheaf Lane, Sheldon. The actual site is now occupied by a building which was until a year or so ago, a children's nursery". [Perhaps opposite Deepdale Avenue?]. A meeting held 24 November 1943 sought to find new accomodation.

Last edited:
"The 298th Birmingham Scout Group originated in 1941 with Scout meetings held in Silvermere School. Over the years hundreds of Sheldon boys have benefited from scouting in all its aspects in the Group's two Cub Packs and two Scout Troops. Some of these were also members of the Senior Scouts and the Drum and Bugle Band, both things of the past but much enjoyed by those that took part. The Band in its heyday won second place in the County Band Competition. The achievement of a worthy HQ for the group has exercised much of the time and effort of the Group Committee since the earliest days. For many years a small hut in the middle of what was the Church Field alongside the present Ragley Drive, had to suffice with some meetings still being held in Silvermere School. This was replaced by an ex-army hut laboriously and carefully rebuilt in the corner of the same field on licence from the Church, which did yeoman service for some 13 years. The crowning success was of course the provision of the present HQ in the corner of Mapldene School grounds. This fine building cost some £6800, £2950 of which had already been accumulated by the date of opening in June 1970. The present committee, as the obvious recipient of any credit due for the satisfactory footing which now exists, would readily admit that it stands on the shoulders of those who have gone before and whose strenuous efforts and steady upbuilding laid the sound foundations for present success. In forty year of change many a Scouter, Committeeman - and woman has given service, in and out of uniform -- only the effort and enthusiasm is unchanged".

[Extract from 289th Birmingham Group Festival Day programme 11 June 1983]

Last edited:
Some more history:
  1. Yardley Local Association Boy Scouts 1960 District Rally programme: Contains list of all Yardley Scout groups and meeting places. Rally at Cambell['s'] Green, references to Birmingham Society Model Engineers and train rides (3d!). Adverts for GR Field and WT Simmonds, Church Road Yardley. [yds001.pdf]
  2. Opening of the 298 Scout Hut 1957 - Contains a version of the history and lists group officers. Signed by George Farmer, GSL [yds002.pdf]
  3. Handwritten history of 298th headed '60 Years'. Claims group started in 1934. Name 'Pauline' in the margin. Unsigned. [yds003.pdf]
yds004.jpg
Sid Edrop and his wife (r.h. of ladies in centre).

Attachments

• yds001.pdf
    248.1 KB · Views: 26
  • yds002.pdf
    166.2 KB · Views: 18
  • yds003.pdf
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
Some more history:
  1. Yardley Local Association Boy Scouts 1960 District Rally programme: Contains list of all Yardley Scout groups and meeting places. Rally at Cambell['s'] Green, references to Birmingham Society Model Engineers and train rides (3d!). Adverts for GR Field and WT Simmonds, Church Road Yardley. [yds001.pdf]
  2. Opening of the 298 Scout Hut 1957 - Contains a version of the history and lists group officers. Signed by George Farmer, GSL [yds002.pdf]
  3. Handwritten history of 298th headed '60 Years'. Claims group started in 1934. Name 'Pauline' in the margin. Unsigned. [yds003.pdf]
View attachment 134050
James, wherever did you get these? Absolutely wonderful. There are a couple of names I recall, the first one being the guy in the photograph. I remember his sons more than him, Keith Edrop I used to see fairly frequently when we both ran separate age group football teams for a Solihull club named Coldlands Colts. I attended a Silvermere School reunion in October last year and was chatting to Keith's younger brother Whose name I can't recall to my embarrassment.
One of the cubmasters mentioned was a K. Hutchins. I wonder if this was the same guy who lived in Parkdale Road and ran a boys football team named Parkfield Star, the first football team I ever played for.
I haven't read them all through yet, I'll save that for later but well done again for this post.

The 38th Birmingham Scout group about to set out on its weekly Sunday Church Parade march from Vincent Street Balsall Heath to the church of St Mary & St Ambrose at the junction of Raglan Road and Pershore Road Edgbaston. I would date this about 1956/57.

Balsall Heath Vincent St 38th Scout Group.jpgBalsall Heath Vincent St towards Moseley Rd(1)[1].jpg

More on 298th Birmingham.
1st pic is the Yardley District Management Team at a conference at Butlins - sorry can't remember the year - nor can I recall all the names. But, from the left husband and wife, Harry and ???. - Arthur Painter (Yardley Funeral Director) - my Mum Molly Platt. - Bert Graham - and cant remember the last one.
The second pic - at Yorks Wood, (again can't recall the year) my Mum, Jean Wood and Sheila Install.
All very active in the movement. My Mum was asst District Commissioner for Cubs having originally started in Scouting as Akela at 1st Olton Cubs when the Scout Hut was located at Chapel Fields School, Lyndon Road.
OldBrummie

Attachments

• The Management Team at a Butlins Conference.jpg
    The Management Team at a Butlins Conference.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Mom Jean Wood & Sheila at Yorks Wood.jpg
    Mom Jean Wood & Sheila at Yorks Wood.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 12
Some more history:
View attachment 134050
Fantastic post Spargone - real history!
The Scouting timeline from 1907 onwards shows that that the Air Scout Branch was formed in 1941. From their web page the 298 Silvermere group is shown as having been formed formed in 1941 - coincidence that 298 may have started as a Air Scout Group - our uniform had grey shirts and blue shorts and was different to most scout uniforms.

Particularly liked the references to Jumble sales for fund raising - the times we went calling on houses in Sheldon for stuff to sell then sorting it all in the old hut. Best part was finding old comic annuals and buying them before the doors opened - would be worth a fortune today!

Afraid that nostalgia took over and I found this link which brought back lots of memories (Boy scout tests from 1956 - http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/sha/tests.htm)

Composition of the Union Jack flag? Surprising that so many people dont know when it has been hoisted upside down! Semaphore and morse is a blur but still recall a lot of the first aid techniques, slings bandages, resusitation - what to do if someone falls through ice on a pond, is electrocuted, knots and whippings, making a stretcher from ropes and scout staffs. All useful stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 131221Main article: Scout sign and salute

Many Cub Scout sections also use a two-finger salute. The salute was devised by Robert Baden-Powell and originally represented the two ears of a wolf cub, since the original programme was based on Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book.[3] However, Cubs in several national associations now use the three-finger Scout salute used by the rest of the Scout Movement.

The Brownie Promise 1990:
I promise to do my best​
To do my duty to God​
To serve my Queen & my country​
To help other people​
And to do a good deed every day.​
Motto 1990: Be prepared.

The Brownie Guide Motto, prior to 1996, was:
Lend a hand
View attachment 131219
intersting link on scout salute - http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/yarn03.pdf

A scout rally at Perry Hall Park in 1913. Can’t imagine the charge would be allowed today.
E999F542-DC9E-42D4-B656-77969C3F64F9.jpeg

992B4C43-7A21-4F18-8235-563D7FBB6A26.jpegAnd

And an annual sports event at Cannon Hill Park in 1916.
6DD24737-0D26-46EE-93B7-D9810BDFF6DD.jpeg

Does anyone know the significance of this horse brass? It suggests that Scouts/Guides came from Denmark to Birmingham in 1969 but why and why was the brass manufactured?
scouthb.jpg

Does anyone know if this badge has any special significance apart from showing the 298th as being part of East Birmingham District? I am thinking in terms of special merit or long service.
DSCF2123.JPG

I'm very impressed with everyone remembering the number of their pack! I know I left the Brownies in about 1962 and we used to meet somewhere near Dorrington Road Junior School, Great Barr. Every so often for some reason we used to parade with a flag around where Dorrington Road joins Tower Hill - I always wanted to carry the flag in the leather holder thingy, but maybe because I was only a 2nder Gnome I wasn't high enough. Maybe one had to be a 6er? After this I joined the Dance School just up the road from the Clifton Cinema for ballet, tap and acro. The building is still there - I wonder who meets upstairs nowadays...

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 19
Back