• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scouts Cubs Boys Brigade Girl Guides Brownies

SuBee

master brummie
Jennyann has triggered a far and distant memory for me, in her topic about the Handsworth Flower Show........
I seem to recall, rather large gatherings of men and boys in short trousers, annually, in Handsworth Park?
Was it a Scout Jambouree?
I'm sure it was a National event............does anyone else recall this, or have any memories to share?

Yes Sue,
It was the annual Scout Jamboree. I was there sporting a very attractive little woggle. I was a patrol leader in 107th Bishop Latimer's Scout Group. Green and red neckerchiefs. Does that ring a bell?

Brookfields had the best and smartest scout band in the country. But we wuz the best allrounders. :lol:

Gotta go now though 'cos it's time for me medication. :?

See you in a week.

Sorry to disappoint, Sue, but I don't think I have. However, as I realise how disappointing this may be for you, I shall have a good root in my archives. I have got one of me at a camp but, unfortunately not exposing me woggle as I'm in civvies. You're welcome to that. :lol:

Hello All,

Before the war many youngsters belonged to some organisation or another. Boy Scouts, Boys Brigade Girl Guides etc. Now, altough these organisations still exist it is rare to see a youngster in such uniform.

I was in the cubs and then the scouts. My cub master ws Frank Wilson and scout leader was a Mr Scott but he went into the army and was sadly killed in action at Sicily. Our troop was 132nd Birmingham and we first met in Jenkins Street School, Small Heath and then At Aidans Church Hall in Herbert Road. I lost touch after we were bombed out and moved to South Yardley. I have fond memories of camps and the annual rallies in Handsworth Park

I later joined the Air Training Corps but that is a different story

I my be wrong but it seems a bit infra dig (whatever that means) for todays youth to belong to a disciplined organisation. I know that some do but not as many as before the war.

Were you a cub, brownie, scout, girl guide, life boy or in the Boys Brigade ? If not why not?

Old Boy

I was patrol leader of Thrush group in the Girl Guides till I got booted out for scrapping. Attended many camping weekends at Kings Norton and once spent a week at Kewstoke with them. I also youth hostelled and went to Ogwen cottage a couple of times where we did mountain climbing and ridge walking. My grandson is a member of Great Barr Karate club and is now a balck belt and prior to that he and his sister were members of Kingstanding swimming club. My other granddaughter was in the Brownies and now is grade six drums and piano. We always took time with our twins too who were competetive swimmers and West |Midland bronze medalists for the triathlon. Bye. Jean.

Pete was in a boys club and have sorted this photo out. It was called the NABC club of Albert road school.

Hello All,

Before the war many youngsters belonged to some organisation or another. Boy Scouts, Boys Brigade Girl Guides etc. Now, altough these organisations still exist it is rare to see a youngster in such uniform.

I was in the cubs and then the scouts. My cub master ws Frank Wilson and scout leader was a Mr Scott but he went into the army and was sadly killed in action at Sicily. Our troop was 132nd Birmingham and we first met in Jenkins Street School, Small Heath and then At Aidans Church Hall in Herbert Road. I lost touch after we were bombed out and moved to South Yardley. I have fond memories of camps and the annual rallies in Handsworth Park

I later joined the Air Training Corps but that is a different story

I my be wrong but it seems a bit infra dig (whatever that means) for todays youth to belong to a disciplined organisation. I know that some do but not as many as before the war.

Were you a cub, brownie, scout, girl guide, life boy or in the Boys Brigade ? If not why not?

Old Boy

I didn't believe this when I was first told, but apparently there are now more Brownies, Guides, Cubs and Scouts in Britain than ever before! Perhaps they are all heavily disguised; like you, I never see any in uniform!

Foot-note, my 'first love' was Beryl, the Girl Guide, in the 'Rupert the Bear' stories.....sad, or what?!?!?!?'

I was patrol leader of Thrush group in the Girl Guides till I got booted out for scrapping. Attended many camping weekends at Kings Norton and once spent a week at Kewstoke with them. I also youth hostelled and went to Ogwen cottage a couple of times where we did mountain climbing and ridge walking. My grandson is a member of Great Barr Karate club and is now a balck belt and prior to that he and his sister were members of Kingstanding swimming club. My other granddaughter was in the Brownies and now is grade six drums and piano. We always took time with our twins too who were competetive swimmers and West |Midland bronze medalists for the triathlon. Bye. Jean.

And very smart too!

Hi Jean, I tried to join the Girl Guides but they turned me down. Don't know why. George.

In the early 60's I recall being in the cubs and being taken to a special shop to buy my uniform, don't know where it was...

Anyway I recall being taken to a park for a jamboree or something where another cub and myself performed a 'drinking song routine' with bar towels on our arms. We had our photograph taken by the local press, and I recall asking when the picture would be in the paper. The photographer said it would be in The Sunday Mercury the next day if Margaret Reynolds was not found.

It appeared as promised, but with our surnames mixed up.

I was in the Guides in the 60s and we were at the Jambouree at Handsworth Park in 1964 ..I remember it was a really hot day and scouts and guides from everywhere marched it was a really lovely day..Dont know if the cubs got their uniform from the same shop as the guides but the shop we used was at the very end of Corporation Street

Last edited:
I think it may have been Yorks Wood I went to..............
It may have been the same shop, but I hope dad bought me the cub uniform, not the guides
icon11.gif

Kevkonk. As Maggieuk said, the "Scout & Guide" shop was at the junction of Corporation St and Steelhouse Lane until 1967. It then moved to Hill Street. Lord alone knows where the shop is now but due to the fact that I no longer look good in shorts and a cap frankly I'm not to bothered.

In the late 50s and early 60s wasn't the Scout & Guide Shop in Dale End? Reassurance, please. db84124

Last edited:
Yes

The Scout shop used to be in Dale End. Most of my scout uniform was purchased from there c1958. I remember my grandmother taking me there to but it.

Phil

Phil was there another shop opposite the old accident hospital on a corner only I remember getting mine from there? This is myself as a GG. Jean.

Jean

I don't remember a scout shop in Bath Row, but that doesn't mean anything. I didn't get up that way much only to visit the Accident Hospital with my latest in a long line of injuries.

I took a quick look in the Kelly's directories I have, but they were of no help. All I could find was the main shop was in Dale End till the mid 60's and then it moved to Hill St.

Phil

Phil I may be getting it mixed up withthe Army and Navy shop as mom bought camping equipment from there. Thanks for looking. Jean.

No Jean you are right it was opposite the entrance to the accident hospital but as previously stated at the junction of Corporation St and Steelhouse lane. The main entrance was in Steelhouse lane but the shop stretched round the corner into Corporation Street. I was in there nearly every Saturday with my dad who was a Cub Master so I can remember it pretty well.

Back