• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scouting in Rubery - early 1900s

Salsin

Hello,
In 1911 Herbert (later Lord) Austin told his private secretary Bobby Howitt to “form a scout group - for the benefit of the local community.”
Although known as 1st Lickey, they were also known (for obvious reasons!) as the “Austin Troop”. Logical, as the Longbridge works was expanding rapidly and, presumably, many of the scouts had parents who worked there.
We are researching the history of 1st Lickey Scouts and believe that their first HQ was actually in Rubery. Again, very logical. But where was it?
We have a transcript of a newspaper report which reads “A parade of the Lickey Troop of Boy Scouts was held on Sunday 6th Oct. 1918 and the morning service at Rubery Church attended. Subsequently a tablet, recording the names of “old scouts” who had joined His Majesties’ Forces and which had been erected over the entrance to the Scout Headquarters at Rubery was dedicated by Rev. Roberts."
Can anyone give us any clues as to where this HQ building was?
Also, a colleague who is researching local war memorials says that no-one knows if this memorial tablet still exits, or where it is.
Does anyone know?
I must stress that we are NOT talking about Rubery's own scout group (St. Chad's) which was formed much later.
Any information gratefully received.
Thanks,
Mike Dodman, Marlbrook, Bromsgrove.

Hello,
I referred to a "memorial tablet" (see above).
I now have a photo of this tablet (see attached).
Does anyone recall elderly relatives talking about this?
Has anyone seen it tucked away in a dusty corner of a storeroom somewhere - because no-one knows what happened to it.
Any information gratefully received.
Thanks,
Mike Dodman, Marlbrook, Bromsgrove.IMG_2935.jpg

Back