• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scout troupe Kings Heath

RobertS

master brummie
Hello folks

Anyone know the Number or the Scout Troupe based at Cambridge Road Methodist Church Kings Heath in the 1960's? Organisers, members etc?

thanks

It was not simply a Scout Troop, but a complete Scout Group (Cub Pack, Scout Troop, Senior Scout Troop and Rover Crew). It began in 1914 as the 130th Birmingham, but c 1950 it adopted a sub-title as 1st King's Heath (there was never any 2nd or later King's Heath numbering). Although it regularly used the Cambridge Road Methodist hall as a base, it was never formally sponsored by that church. It celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1964, but I have no more recent information.

Thanks for that Rowland.

I did the cubs and scouts, could be wrong but I don't think the Rover Crew was there in my time. (1960 ish.)

It is possible that the Rover Crew had gone by the 1960s. It was never very large, and mostly concerned itself with helping the Scouts and Senior Scouts.

I went to the 130th Birmingham, 1st King’s Heath cubs and scouts in the late 1950’s/early 1960’s for about 5 years. I’m not sure if this post is still of interest to anyone but my memories are -

The Leader was called Chief – Mr Rooker. Chief was helped by his older son who was a senior scout. The next in charge was Skip – a man with bushy ginger beard.

I had a great time and learnt many things which are still useful and come back to me today.

I went on several camps – the World Jamboree of Scouts in 1957 at Yorkswood, Birmingham (which was scout owned), at Kinver and 2-week camps in the Lake District, Westward Ho, the Peak District and Germany – Bopfingen near the Southern Alps. My first long camp in the Lake District was a disaster as it rained for 2 weeks and everything was damp. I do remember some good times in Keswick (fish and chips by the lake). The camp in Germany was great – we were pitched up on top of a steep hill which the local gliding club used for winch launching. We were all taken up for a flight. I think this camp was to foster relations with young German scouts who shared the campsite.

I achieved a few badges – the usual knots plus cycling proficiency, and homemaking come to mind. The homemaking involved going to a “posh” house in Vicarage Rd to vacuum, dust, make a pot of tea and fry eggs and bacon. I became the patrol leader of the Eagle Patrol

Another memory is the regular Bob a Job weeks where I would pester all the local residents to cut grass, clean cars etc. I always made a lot of cash – possibly to get me to go away.

My memory of the Cambridge Rd Methodist Church is not so good as I was hauled over the coals for “not doing my duty to God” as I did not attend regularly enough and turned up in my football kit on Sunday mornings.

Many happy memories.

Back