• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scout Jamboree Sutton park

I went to the jamboree in Sutton Park and still have the autograph book I filled with names of scouts from all over the world.

I was a "spark man" performing to Mars from the Planet Suite as a cub age 10/11 (160th Birmingham)

Last edited:
I have a couple of group photos of my friend and myself taken at the Jamboree in 1957. I will look them out. One group was from the Faroe Islands I remember.

Do any of you more mature ladies remember the Scout Jamboree in Sutton Park in 1957.
I was 15 and can still remember the red fleece jackets of the American scouts.Here in the UK the teenagers were still in drab colours.
My friends and i tried to chat up scouts of all nationalities but ending up with the ones from Newcastle,mind you they spoke a foreign language.

It's the 'Broon Ale' that does it!
icon12.gif
I remember Dad driving us through the park in our old sit-up-and-beg Ford Pop, and seeing all the scouts; I was only six at the time and was furious that I couldn't join the scouts there and then!

I was there too....aged 11......I seem to remember being the only one in step...

Here are a couple of photos from the Sutton Jamboree in 1957. They aren't in great shape though. The photos are taken with older Rover scouts from the Faroe Islands....nice looking bunch now I come to think of it. I thought I had a photo of two groups of scouts but I actually have two photographs of Faroe Island guys. The larger group photo has my dear friend Margaret on it....no longer with us I'm afraid. I am in the smaller group photo. I have mentioned I did meet an American Rover Scout from North Carolina in a previous post. I wrote to him for a year. Looked him up some years ago via Internet and he is still involved in the Scout movement.

Lovely photo's Jennyann with a tale to match. I remember going with my brothers but I don't remember much as I was only four!

I was a guide then Jenny and we went to Windsor Castle in 1957 to see Lady BP.
My brother was camping at Sutton Park with the Yorks Wood Rovers and we went to visit. Mo

Just found an old photo of a Jamboree Special Train arriving at Park Station in Sutton in 1957 bringing scouts to the event. The train is hauled by Brittania class loco `Lord Rowallan`, and had a Tudor Rose headboard View attachment 64236

Doug love to see the photo sadly the Attachment has come up as an invalid link for me. Dek

My wife, who was 15 at the time of the Sutton Jamboree, visited the campsites with her parents to meet some of the scouts from around the world. They happened to meet up with some Dutch sea scouts and really enjoyed swapping stories to the point that they invited three of them back for a meal at there house in Sutton. The scouts visited the house a few times and a close friendship resulted. A year later my wife was invited by the family of one of the boys to visit them in Utrecht. My wife's father, who had business contacts in Holland, checked that everything was above board and gave her permission to go on a visit to Holland. She spent an excellent 2 weeks travelling around Holland including a visit to Amsterdam. The following year the sister of the Dutch family visited Sutton for 3 weeks. My wife still cherishes these memories of the Jamboree and the resulting visit to Holland.

I own a smallish paperback book all about Sutton, it contains a couple of paragraphs about the Jamboree. I will copy the text and put it on this thread if anyone is interested.

Scanning through the posts of this thread the date most quoted is 1957. I wonder if the Scouting Jamboree took place every ten years? I would not have been in Sutton Park in 1957 - the RAF had other ideas about my location at that time, but I do rememberer as a junior scout, being at a Jamboree somewhere between 1947 and 1950.

Alan we used to have Jamborees every year at Handsworth Park I was still going as a Queen Scout at 18 that would have been 1961. Dek

Back