• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scott Mary Jane

Stephen Frank

Hello I'm trying to find any information about my ancestors who lived in birmingham.

What I know is my great great grandmother was Frances Mary Scott who's birth address was wheeler street birmingham. She had an illegitimate daughter my great grandmother Clara Jane Scott . Who at the age of 11 was living with James and Emma Brooks at back 2 house 6 summer hill terrece. Clara eventually married Thomas mitchell from Leeds . They lived out there lives in Middlesbrough which was then in the county of Yorkshire . Any help much appreciated.

Emma Brooks was the sister of Jane Sadler who was the second wife of Frances Mary's father Henry Scott. So Clara's step grandmother.

Henry Scott married Frances Botterill 19 Feb 1842 in Sutton Coldfield.

Frances died in 1851 age 37.

Henry then marred Jane Sadler 14 Dec 1852 in Bham.

Strangely in 1851 Henry and Frances are listed in Coleshill St, Sutton Coldfield with in laws whilst the children Henry and Frances are listed in Great Hampton Row, Bham with Jane Sadler (above) and a Sarah Hunt.

Henry was b1817 Gloucestershire, Frances 1814 Leicestershire.

Emma Brooks was the sister of Jane Sadler who was the second wife of Frances Mary's father Henry Scott. So Clara's step grandmother.

Henry Scott married Frances Botterill 19 Feb 1842 in Sutton Coldfield.

Frances died in 1851 age 37.

Henry then marred Jane Sadler 14 Dec 1852 in Bham.

I have clara jane scott birth certificate Date of birth 26th jan 1870 mother frances mary Scott. Father unknown. So the above info does not match .

Can't see any conflict with what I said. That Frances Mary Scott was the daughter of Henry Scott and Frances Botterill.

Last edited:
And then Henry married Jane Sadler after Frances Mary's mother died.

The James and Emma Brooks that Clara is with in 1881 were Jane Sadler's sister and brother in law

Back