• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scott Arms Junction

Even in the 1950’s the Scott Arms was a busy crossroads controlled by traffic lights. Most likely they were installed post war corresponding with the massive house building programme in the area.
My parents lived In Great Barr from 1940 at the time most of housing estates had been put on hold due to WW2. The main roads leading to the Scott Arms were little more than country lanes.
All the roads leading to the junction were widened to dual carriageways in the mid 1960’s, bringing in the more complex traffic light system.
l lived just off the Newton Road from 1954 to 1981.

I spent a lot of time around the Scott Arms junction in the late 1940s/1950s/1960s and never thought to note when the traffic lights were installed ...:D

At a guess I would say late 1940s. There are quite a number of Scott Arms photos on the forum and a few of them can be seen in the post links below. There are more photos elsewhere on the forum.

Some show traffic lights and some do not but unfortunately do not answer the question ... but they are nice pics ... :)
Use your browser back-arrow to return to this post from the links

Back