• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scotch Eggs

B

Beryl M

Scotch Eggs
So Fattening but so good

6 hard-cooked eggs, well chilled
1 pound breakfast sausage
1/2 cup -4 oz flour
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 -cup 6 oz fine bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying

Peel eggs and set aside. Divide sausage into 6 portions. Roll each egg in flour and with hands press a portion of the sausage around each egg.
Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper toweling. Serve warm.

The dish was invented by the London food shop Fortnum and Mason in 1738. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a Scottish dish. Scotch eggs are commonly eaten cold, typically with salad or pickles

Last edited by a moderator:
We have them occasionally Beryl, but to keep the fat down a bit I cook them in the oven. When it is very hot as it is now, I would put them on a tray and cook on the warming rack in the gas BBQ. I do a number of things like that, it is just like using the oven. I am sure other people have tried that. :) Mo

That's a great idea Maureen - the sausage is greasy enough -

Stuart will often will make onion rings when the boys come over -Although well blotted on paper towels I find them too greasy - it is the same with banana fritters -

I see this is a old thread but, my wife will make 2 dozen at Christmas I use the same sausage meat and make sausage rolls we then make up a gift plate for folk, she bakes them in the oven my daughter husband fell in love with but he will use a spicy Italian sausage meat, and now 2019 I see folk using panko crumbs.

We have them occasionally Beryl, but to keep the fat down a bit I cook them in the oven. When it is very hot as it is now, I would put them on a tray and cook on the warming rack in the gas BBQ. I do a number of things like that, it is just like using the oven. I am sure other people have tried that. :) Mo

Yes I also cook mine in the over to keep the fat down.:)

Back