• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Science Museum Newhall Street

275539160_1097678257732994_5334301946207564161_n.png

Myself (Andy Roffey) pictured in the Express and Star May 1994 a few days before the 1994 Newhall Street traction rally helping get the museum's Burrell engine 'Busy Bee' ready for the rally.

IMG_2818.jpeg

“The Locomotive Hall of the Museum of Science and Industry, Birmingham. The cladding of this building is made of steel covered with vinyl. It was opened in May 1972.”

(Timber, iron, clay : five essays on their use in building by Linstrum, Derek, author. Publication date 1975)

Internet find on a postcard sellers website - these are original vintage B&W postcards from the old Newhall St Science Museum shop - hopefully most of the items here still exist either at Thinktank or the Collections Centre:-
1705396435053.png
1921 Indian Motorcycle and Sidecar

1705396503170.png
1958 Scott Motorcycle

1705396567163.png
Tramcar 395 (in Thinktank)

1705396625374.png
Jaguar Sport Coupe

1705396672524.png
1910 Rover Chassis

1705396717301.png
Railton Mobil Special without body (in Thinktank)

1705396782528.png
Aveling Porter Steam Roller

1705396970930.png
Also found this one labelled Birmingham Science Museum

Internet find on a postcard sellers website - these are original vintage B&W postcards from the old Newhall St Science Museum shop - hopefully most of the items here still exist either at Thinktank or the Collections Centre:-
View attachment 188112
1921 Indian Motorcycle and Sidecar

View attachment 188113
1958 Scott Motorcycle

View attachment 188114
Tramcar 395 (in Thinktank)

View attachment 188115
Jaguar Sport Coupe

View attachment 188116
1910 Rover Chassis

View attachment 188117
Railton Mobil Special without body (in Thinktank)

View attachment 188118
Aveling Porter Steam Roller

View attachment 188119
Also found this one labelled Birmingham Science Museum
1705422279658.jpeg
This is a pen & ink of your photo (I posted some time ago).

Newhall Street had a fine collection of polyphons, gramophones and music boxes. They could be heard working. When I was working in Millennium Point, I managed to get into Think Tank cheaply on special days. It isn't worth paying full price I'm afraid, though some of the engines can be seen in steam.

It would be nice to think that in the future, Birmingham, the old centre for innovation and industry will get its museum of science and industry back. Unless of course the exhibits have not been sold off? AC.
I believe virtually all of exhibits are in trust so cannot be easily sold off. Although our council would find a way to sell its own grandmother to cover the cost of its cock-ups......

Newhall Street had a fine collection of polyphons, gramophones and music boxes. They could be heard working. When I was working in Millennium Point, I managed to get into Think Tank cheaply on special days. It isn't worth paying full price I'm afraid, though some of the engines can be seen in steam.
Hi Stokkie - most of these are in the collections centre although they are scattered around a bit - silent at present but you never know for the future. I posted photos of some of them a few months back after the open day.

Hi Stokkie - most of these are in the collections centre although they are scattered around a bit - silent at present but you never know for the future. I posted photos of some of them a few months back after the open day.
Thanks Mark,
I've never been to Dollman Street, so I should really make the effort when they are open this year. A nostalgic read through this thread with many memories.
Derek

Thanks Mark,
I've never been to Dollman Street, so I should really make the effort when they are open this year. A nostalgic read through this thread with many memories.
Derek
Details on website https://www.birminghammuseums.org.uk/museum-collection-centre
They have an open day in September (on Heritage Day) and are open on Fridays 12.30 - 14.30 - both need pre-booking. Friday tickets have to be purchased - open days have been free up to now - that may change in the future........

Details on website https://www.birminghammuseums.org.uk/museum-collection-centre
They have an open day in September (on Heritage Day) and are open on Fridays 12.30 - 14.30 - both need pre-booking. Friday tickets have to be purchased - open days have been free up to now - that may change in the future........
Thank you Mark, the link is very informative! Really if they want people to see this they should be open a full day at least, there is so much to see there. Their revenue would increase and I am sure they would not be adding more people!

The tyres themselves were quiet interesting in that they were mainly fabric with just a very thin layer of rubber. With the large diameter wheel and the car speed the angular momentum would have torn apart conventional rubber tyres.

The tyres themselves were quiet interesting in that they were mainly fabric with just a very thin layer of rubber. With the large diameter wheel and the car speed the angular momentum would have torn apart conventional rubber tyres.
Yes, I remember reading somewhere that even though the tires were smooth, to reduce drag and be more aerodynamic they had difficulty balancing at over 400mph. I believe one of the runs was slightly over 400mph.

Back