• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Schools

dennis

master brummie
Looking back 70odd years ago,
My first school was Twickenham Rd Infant's
seeing that my pal was just a day younger than I we started together,
anyway when the bell went for playtime,we thought it was time to go home,so off we went,of cours we were sent back, if it was your birthday,you would go in front of the class and receive a badge(just for the day) and two sweets off the headmistress Miss McGowan
From the infants,you were then passed on to the ajoining Junior school
Good Happy Day's

My first school was Lakey Lane Infants and juniors in Hall Green. My mom took me on my first day to the reception class Miss Ball was the teacher. I still remember the class room vividly, the wendy house in the corner of the room and the goldfish she kept in a tank. The room had sliding glass windows that opened on to a small play area ensuring that us young infants of 4-5 years were safe from the older children. Its funny what you do remember things like the size of the chairs, the pictures on the coat hooks or even the size of the toilets miniscule to the ones in the juniors. When I came to my leaving year my monitors job was assisting Miss Ball in the reception class perhaps that's why I remember it.

First School Cowpers St Aston happy days it was all downhill from there:)

My First School

My First School Was Nansen Road Ward End Up To The Age Of Seven Then Mom & Dad Moved Us To Live With My Nan In Aston Then It Was Upper Thomas Street (the Great Sports School) They Were Good Times, With Head Master Mr York, Teachers Mr Milner, Mr Jones, Mr Cash, Mr Evans & Many More Great Teachers.
Aston

Twickenham Rd Infants

My first school was Twickenham Rd Infants, i can't remember the Teachers but i remember they had couple of rows of cot's and used to put us down for an afternoon nap, and we used to have a bottle of milk a day, from there i went to the ajoining school

Schools.

;) My infant/junior school was Yewtree road. On the photo is Mr Smith and try and guess which one is Patty and myself. My senior school was Manor Park girls. The other photograph is leaving day. Bye for now. Jean. ;)

My first school was Leigh Road Infants and then on to the same Junior School and then on to the same Senior School.

school

My first school was Redhill road,mom was more upset than me when she left me there.Then when it was holiday time she couldn't wait for school to open again. My children went to Lakey Lane in the seventies.

first school

my first school was loxton street in duddeston mill area
i hated my first day i can remember i cryed and cryed
i went all the way through till i left and did halfway through
first year seniors to charles arthur street then we left to go to south yardley
area, then did the rest of my schooling at lea village
could,nt like a lot of others wait to leave school,
wish now i,d have stayed on i made my two and
they,re doing a lot better than i did. such is life.
regards dereklcg.

looking for higgins. marston.fryer. round. collier. barnfield.lightfoot.

My first School was Alma Street, Lozells. I used to love the bottle's of milk we'd get at break time with our waxy paper straws, not plastic ones.
I never did get to be milk monitor :(.

first scool

hi there
my first school was elkington st school i dont remember the fiirst day but i remember being evacuated to ashby-dela-zooch i was left on the railway station because nobody collected me iwas lost for 4/5days when my sister (6yrs older )couldnt find me she raised the alarm
i was found living with several london familys who had been bombed out in london the family story is that my dads freind had a furniture van, dad got petrol coupons on the black marketand they came and brought me home we left miller street for dyas rd gt barr
went to aldridge rd school great sports school played for school teams we beat upper thomas st in the ansells schools shield played at VILLA PARK in the VILLA schools cup we drew with waverly rd grammer school

33bus
tom:D

1st ever school

Hi,
i havent been on line for a long time, bit rusty, anyway my first school (1958ish) was Hillstone Infants on Shard End, adjoining that was the Juniors, lovely days. I can remember having milk with the wax straws, and even having ice in them when it was really cold so we sat the bottles on the radiators to melt it.
I do have a photo somewhere in the house, of our class in the infants we are all sitting / posing on the climbing frame, we were a good looking lot. ha!
The class i was in, all went up to the Juniors together, a few names i can remember are Norma Noakes, Norma Twigg, Andy Millward, Gary Pearson, Stephen Hall, Stephen Chatham and Ian Brunger, sorry if its spelt incorrectly. Eileen Blackburn, Barbara Coleman and Judith Lee sorry i cant remember anymore.
would love to hear from anyone who was in that class
:)xxx
family names O'Neill, Agar,

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1 st School was Loxton Street in 1947 but before that can anyone tell me the name of the nursery just down the road from there the only thing i remember is getting my finger stuck in the door and the end of my index finger cut the teacher put a bandage on it when i got home and my mom took the bandage of the end was hanging off i stiil have a scare where they stiched it back happy days
family names
Duffy

Back