• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

School visits to Cinemas

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Remember any cinemas you visited with your School & do you remember the Film you saw:)

I certainly remember going to the Bristol cinema on Bristol Road to see Julius Caesar with Marlon Brando. Must have been around 1953 I think. I was bored stiff with the whole thing.

We saw Oliver Twist 1948 with Alex Guinness ( Fagan) & Robert Newton (Bill Sykes) Anthony Newley ( Artful Dodger)

Also Tom Browns Schooldays 1951 (Robert Newton) & Christmas Carol 1951 (Alister Sim) 1951 was the year I left school.:)

I saw them all at the Odeon New Street.

I remember our class trip to the Odeon in New Street to see the Walt Disney film "The Living Desert". It was my last year at Marsh Hill School(Infants and Juniors) in l953. It was the first time that the school had a field trip of this type. The film was very good and we learned a lot about the desert. The film won an Oscar for a Documentary and still stands up today as a good nature documentary although it would probably be a bit boring for young kids.

We didn't visit the cinema from our school but we went to see a very young Albert Finney as Macbeth at the Birmingham Rep in about 1856.

WOW!!!!!

Alberta............................REALLY!!

1856?? :gasp::gasp::gasp:

You really don't look your age my love;) :D

We went to see Moby Dick at the Adelphi in Coventry Road, Small Heath, from my school at Bierton Road, Yardley, back in the 1950's. It was quite a good walk. We had to walk in pairs, a long line of us, one teacher at the front leading, and another at the back making sure nobody went wandering off.
I thought the film was very exciting, and I've only ever seen it on one occasion since.
I used to go to the Adelphi every Saturday morning when I belonged to the ABC Minors. Imagine small kids on there own trying to cross the Coventry Road now!
Spooner:)

We were taken to see 'Othello'. Larry Olivier is the only star I remember, and I think it was at the Odeon, Perry Barr, which was almost next door to my school.
We also went to London and saw 'The Italian Straw Hat' at the Mermaid Theatre - I wonder now what that was all about!!

There was a review of The Italian Straw Hat on Google in the New York Times something about a wedding but can't get the link

Search this movie in the imdb.com site and you can find the story about the hat and the wedding, etc.

The first film I went to see was with the school and about Edmund Hilary climbing Everest. That would have been about 1953/4.

The schools used to make a big thing about any historical happening and they seemed to stick in your mind.

I never liked classical type music but thinking about seeing that film with the school reminded me of the assembly in junior school (which was in the early 1950's) and the headmistress told us that Joan Sutherland had died and then she played a record of her singing operatic songs.

I remember all the pupils were very fidgety and they got told off. I think the headmistress must have been a fan of Joan Sutherland but the pupils had never heard of her.

Funny the things that spring to mind when something else sparks it off. :)

True Louisa

Scott Of The Antaric 1948 (John Mills) we went to see that as well:)

Like Louisa, we were taken to see The Conquest of Everest at the Regal. I can remember walking up Queens Head Road from Foundry Road School believing we musta been in it.

In secondary school we were taken to see G & S's Gondoliers at the Alex. It was just about the most torturous thing I've ever been subjected to (apart from a recent Strauss night at the Symphony Hall). I can remember putting 6d in a slot to use the binoculars (opera glasses) attached the the back of the seat in front. I thought at that price I'd bought them and been conned as they were secured by a chain to prevent me taking them home. :(

We were taken to the Odeon, New Street, to see Laurence Olivier in Henry the Vth, it was grand.

I remember going to see "Romeo and Juliet" with Laurence Harvey and

dear Flora Robson. I don't recall who played Juliet. Harvey was Romeo and

Flora was the nurse.A delightful film due to Flora's acting.

The year was about 1954 and I was at Riland Bedford Girls School Sutton Coldfield.

Just caught up on this site. Re: Joan Sutherland. Louisa said that her teacher way back had said that Joan Sutherland, the opera singer had died. As far as I know Joan is still with us in 2008. Perhaps it was another singer. Joan is married to a Canadian and I was doing some research on them just last week.

The Ballet.

:blush: I went to Manor park girls school and our headmistress Miss Plant thought we aught to be introduced to the theatre and ballet. I won't go into too much detail just use your imagination but when the men came on the stage a girl who's name I won't mention started to laugh. After that it became contageous and we were all in histerics. We were frogmarched out by Mrs Patrick and were we in for it in assembly the next morning. I still chuckle when I think about it. I think Patty was there that day. Bye. Jean.:blush:

school cinema visits

We were taken to the West End to see The Ten Commandments, that was great, and when we got back to school we were asked questions on the film, I think the teacher referred to Queen Nefeteri (Anne Baxter) as the local court crumpet for some reason which we all thought was a hoot.
Regards Chris B

We were also taken to see Ascent of Everest at the Astoria in aston. we were at Charles Arthur street secondary modern ( later Nechells Park secondary school) Happy days :)

Another on we saw was Scott of the Antarctic John Mills

If our Teacher spoke about Court Crumpet we would have thought he was on about Piklets :rolleyes:

I remember going to see El Cid at the Bristol rd cinema with my school Lea Mason [Edgbaston].Hated the film then and now, it was gruesome. Mary

As its the 60th anniversary for climbing Everest, I can remember going from my school (All Saints) to the Palladium in Hockley to see it. Even though it was 60 years I can still remember sitting on the left handside in the stalls.

I was at Whittington Oval School for distressed gentlefolk. The one and only outing we had was to the Beaufort to see "the Coronation". My only recollection is climbing the stairs of the bus on all fours. (Something I didn't repeat until I was introduced to alcohol). The only thing I remember about the film was that it was in "Techicolor". But I do now have it on VHS.

taken from canterbury cross to the odeon to see reach for thhe sky, kenneth more, have never flown since.

Back