• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

School uniform

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
In other threads on this forum members have mentioned the price of school uniform. In some cases it prevented a child from taking up a place at grammar school. This newspaper extract shows just how pricey it could be. And I know from my own school there were several other items not listed in the article too.

We were fortunate in that both parents worked, so affording a uniform was manageable. I think mum also used the Provident to buy some items. Once kitted out (which must have taken weeks) I was ready to attend Marsh Hill Girls GrammarTech. Not all items were bought in advance and certain items could be bought from the school, no doubt at a discounted price as I expect the school would have bought in bulk. My hockey stick and hockey boots were bought from the school. I suppose they saw this as an encouragement and an investment in the school’s success.

We could make summer dresses in needlework classes - the regulation material was bought in school. Some parents made their daughter’s dance tunics too. My mum also knitted my cardigans. The pattern was provided by school and the wool was a specific make and shade of blue. Mum ordered this from the local wool shop. You could buy a pump bag, but I think home-made ones were also allowed.

There were stockings too - dreadful grey things - before tights came onto the scene. These could be bought at regular shops but they had to be grey ribbed. Shoes were just flat black ones, no heels. I think originally they were supposed to be lace-ups.

Beret in winter, straw boater in summer. The boater was a scratchy old thing. Boaters went out of use in the years after I joined the school.

The gabardine mac was royal blue. The blazer was dark navy wool. (Remember the smell of a new,wool blazer ?) Not like the washable, polyester ones they have today. We had to sew the school badge onto its pocket - didn’t come already sewn on. Blouses were open neck pale blue ones, so no tie required. Skirts were box pleated, and when new the pleats had a tendency to taper in towards the hemline until you’d worn them for a good while. They also came up long on me so much rolling up and down required, depending on the hemline fashion at the time and on whether you were entering school or going home ! But of course, the more uniform you had, the more name labels you had to sew on.

For PE/hockey/netball/athletics you needed a PE skirt and 2 Airtex shirts; one in pale blue for the school, the other in the house colour (mine was pale green for Worcester House). The PE skirt was like a very short kilt. For swimming you needed a swimming costume and cap. Hated those rubber swimming caps. They never kept the hair dry. For dance you needed a dance tunic.

For science you needed a heavy cotton royal blue crossover overall. Always larger than they needed to be but covered the uniform underneath and most of the leg.

Calculators and computers didn’t exist. But you were expected to have a geometry set, ruler and exercise book with the times tables on the back.

Viv.
Source: British Newspaper Archive
B885C239-C8A8-4838-B838-ACA008B7CD9F.jpeg25D1CF3D-AFAF-46FA-8B76-78B180C045A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes that all brings back memories.The only thing that changed when I started was the gym skirt it was just a pull on navy blue nylon one still really short though.The only piece of uniform you forgot to say was the old fashioned navy blue KNICKERS !! Ha ha

I had forgotten the dance tunic, I had to make mine in needlework class, and the domestic science apron too, thank goodness we didn't have to make the science overall. My satchel was second-hand so was the gabardine raincoat, the hockey stick was my aunt's! It's up in the loft now with the tennis racquet which had to be a birthday present. Mom made the pump bag, I wanted those plimsolls with elastic but lace-ups were cheaper.
rosie.

My Marsh Hill uniform was bought at Greys which they maybe sold slightly cheaper than the uniform shop in Slade Road (I think it was?) My parents were very lucky with me as I hardly grew after the age of 12 and so I finished school at 16 with the same blazer, school mack, skirt, cardigan, jumper, sports wear and science overall. I only ever had a couple of new blouses!

I know it's said about not all parents being able to afford uniforms for children to go to Grammar school but, as far as I remember, most Secondary Modern schools wore uniform too and would have needed sports gear etc.

My Marsh Hill uniform was bought at Greys which they maybe sold slightly cheaper than the uniform shop in Slade Road (I think it was?) My parents were very lucky with me as I hardly grew after the age of 12 and so I finished school at 16 with the same blazer, school mack, skirt, cardigan, jumper, sports wear and science overall. I only ever had a couple of new blouses!

I know it's said about not all parents being able to afford uniforms for children to go to Grammar school but, as far as I remember, most Secondary Modern schools wore uniform too and would have needed sports gear etc.
No school uniforms at Slade road secondary & although i played cricket for the school there was no kit for that either. As for Viv forking out £2.14.6p for a skirt, That was a weeks wage for me as a wages clerk in 58/59.

Last edited:
Our uniform was similar to Viv's description in post #1. We also had indoor shoes (blue sandals) and outdoor shoes (brown) - woe betide anyone wearing the wrong ones. Velour hats in winters and straw hat in summer. When I started we were also expected to wear gloves - blue in winter and white in summer but that requirement went within the first couple of years.
I well remember those thick grey, prickly stockings in winter (as you said - no tights in those days) and then white knee length socks in summer.

No school uniforms at Slade road secondary & although i played cricket for the school there was no kit for that either. As for Viv forking out £2.14.6p for a skirt, That was a weeks wage for me as a wages clerk in 58/59.

Thanks, that's interesting to know.
I was at senior school 1962/67. I know Stockland Green school next to us wore a uniform, certainly a blazer and badge but the school may have been more lenient with the rest if the clothes so long as they were in appropriate colours, they were certainly not allowed to wear just any type of clothes. I guess they could be purchased more cheaply then.

I don’t know if it was any less costly to make our own summer dress in needlework, but it had a major benefit as far as I was concerned. By doing so I learned to take measurements for my dress, to cut out a pattern, match up the fabric pattern, sew French seams, make darts for shape, insert and sew a long zipper, interline the dress collar and cuffs and hem (by hand). Surprisingly it fitted well. So much was gained by us girls sewing our own clothes. Still do all my own and the family’s alterations only because those lessons gave me the confidence to do so.

The other project (mentioned somewhere else) was to make an apron for domestic science rather than buy a purpose-made one. This was made in gingham and the pocket had to be decorated with a machine embroidered motif. I chose to embroider onions, lots of layers of machine embroidery to represent the onion layers. All helped to develop useful sewing skills.

Viv.

Was thinking back to school uniforms and remember feeling utter dread every time I looked at mine. Was this normal ? I wasn't particularly happy at school (age 11 onwards) especially the later years, so I suppose any reminder of school became extremely negative in my mind. I never talked about it to anyone, least of all my parents, well you didn't did you in those days especially as they'd shelled out for expensive school stuff and had high expectations of you. I felt the same about those 'Back to school' reminder posters in shop windows. Hard to believe I put myself through this.

Viv.

Was thinking back to school uniforms and remember feeling utter dread every time I looked at mine. Was this normal ? I wasn't particularly happy at school (age 11 onwards) especially the later years, so I suppose any reminder of school became extremely negative in my mind. I never talked about it to anyone, least of all my parents, well you didn't did you in those days especially as they'd shelled out for expensive school stuff and had high expectations of you. I felt the same about those 'Back to school' reminder posters in shop windows. Hard to believe I put myself through this.

Viv.
viv you probably felt like like due to the pressures of high expectations...i was lucky in that my parents attitude was if you do well you do well if you dont you dont and you will find a job somewhere but just try your best...ive posted many times that being the eldest of 6 children i did fairly well and thanks to mom and dad i was able to stay on for another year to take the cse exams which meant i could go into office work which is what i wanted to do..so yes i was lucky in that respect and enjoyed all of my school years

lyn

My parents just asked that I did my best. They were happy as long as I worked hard - if I had and didn't succeed well so be it.
Enjoyed my school years - must have done as I spent another 38 years back in school as the hunter not the hunted so to speak. :D

Sorry you have those negative memories of your time at school @Vivienne14 - especially as we attended the same senior school! I was quite happy at both junior and senior schools.

My sister, on the other hand, was not very happy at senior school, it was a mixed comprehensive school with many pupils and I think the system just didn't suit her.

I think my issue was, as Lyn suggests, mainly pressures from home. The uniform becoming symbolic of these expectations I suppose. Strangely though, most of my working career was, like Janice, in education but not at the coal face - probably too close for comfort ! Viv.

As said by many above, the uniform for a grammar school in the early 1960's was expensive, to say the least. This was made unavoidable by the fact that, at the time, for the school I attended from 1961, there was just one clothing shop from whom it was possible to buy the school uniform (not sure that would be allowed today).
I don't think many in the family expected that I would pass the 11-Plus exam and end up with my first choice of grammar school, let alone expect the uniform demands to be so expensive. My parents were not what would be considered 'well-off' and the initial list of uniform and sports kit given as 'must be provided' caused considerable hardship. A result of this was that I did, as other lads did, still have the same cap, blazer and sports kit in year five as I did in year one!
It did not end there; there were then requirements for geometry sets (the school did provide a 'basic' set which still had to be purchased), and some lessons (e.g. woodwork, metalwork) required money for materials used in class.
The worst 'extra' cost after uniform purchase I remember was when I was, with about four others, singled-out in the mid-1960s, as having 'long' hair (reaching near the collar of a buttoned-up shirt) - this resulted in three visits to the headmaster and demands each time for another two bob from mom and dad for a trip to Staffords 'on the rock' for another haircut. Mom eventually wrote to the head saying that my hair was now shorter than my dad's, and they just could not afford another two bob for another cut!
Happy days though, and thanks to my parents for doing as pjmburns recalls above, only ever asking that I did my best, while going without so I could benefit from going to grammar school.

I didn't like the PE uniform shorts which were more like a short box-pleated skirt. By the time they had been in my pumpbag they looked like old dusters however much we ironed them. I think the other girls had better quality ones as I was singled out several times about them.
I didn't mind the rest of the uniform as it meant I didn't have to keep up with new clothes for school, at junior school some of the girls could be quite cruel about home knitted jumpers and hand made skirts.
rosie.

Back