• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

School Proms

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

Once again the pages of The Birmingham Mail are full of photographs of young people dressed for their School Proms. When did this American mockery arrive here? They never had proms when I was at school, not even school leaving parties. You just said cheeio to your classmates and that was the last you saw of most of them. My youngest child left school in 1978 and none of them had school proms. So they must have arrived sometime after 1978 and I think that, in fact, it was only a few years ago. Who thought of introducing it and why God Only knows.

The youngsters who attend the prom spend ridiculous sums on their outfits, at least the parents do. There is competition amongst the boys to see who arrives in the most unusual conveyance. Last year a boy turned up in a helicopter.

What is my main objection to all this fuss and expenditure? It is, "What about those who simply cannot afford it and, therefore, do not go to the prom?" They must feel distraught having to put up with the excited chat in the weeks prior to the event. They are probably looked downupon by their more fortunate classmates. I imagine that all this is encouraged by the school staff. The whole setup should be banned.

Old Boy

Last edited:
They do seem to spend a lot! My Grandaughters said some of the girls had expensive dresses fake nails, spray tan hairpieces, etc. They wouldn't go that far, and in my opinion they looked far nicer!
It used to be a wedding was the main time to plan for but it seems the proms are just as expensive with all the girls trying to "outdo" the others with outfits and transport. One group even went in a converted fire-engine!
I'm glad they didn't have them in "my day" as I couldn't have afforded it!
rosie.

Couldn't agree more. A ridiculous American invention designed to get money off parents for the benefit of some outside firms, many of which probably have dubious connections to the school authorities

I never remember ANY school proms in the 1950s. Here in the USA its nothing but another money maker Even my 6 year old grandson had a GRADUATION ceremony from his pre school???? complete with caps and gowns, music performances etc. John Crump Parker. Colorado USAMason grad June 2015 010.JPG

my youngest daughter left school in 2005 and her school at that point did not have the proms do...thank goodness for that because she would have wanted the whole works the school started the proms the year after she left lol...when i left school in 69 all we did was to get an autograph book and collect the names of all our best mates and favourite teachers who would write a good luck for the future note...

lyn

I just don't get it. Another American import I don't get. Should be renamed 'how to spend money you can't afford'.

Hi All,

The score so far is Pro Proms Nil - Anti Proms 5. As far as I am aware the grammar schools do not seem to have Proms. Is that an indication of the greater intelligence of the staff of those schools

Old Boy

l guess l was lucky or unlucky as l had three boys and all it cost us was a corsage....but l know some parents go all out for their daughters...the dress and shoes are usually only worn a few hours never to be worn again...one can always find prom dresses at garage sales and charity stores....and thats where l would have been shopping if l had a daughter....my granddaughter saved the family a whole bunch of money as she chose not to attend the prom...Brenda

Back