• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

School leaving certificate Do you still have yours?.

hi all. thought you make like to see my brothers certs from harry lucas and farm st schools...

he would like to point out that the comment on the first farm st one referring to his long absence was due to being in a car accident...

astoness

sorry folks....senior moment there...please ignore my last post..

heres the harry lucas report..(i hope)

astoness

Lyn those are great. It's awful having to make up for lost time as I was always ill during my first two years at school. Made up for it later though. Jean.

glad you like them jean..our kid was off school for at least 3 months....moms got some of my certs...dont know if i am brave enough to put them on....lol....

lyn

sorry folks....senior moment there...please ignore my last post..

heres the harry lucas report..(i hope)

astoness

Lyn - I see that it was signed by Peter Whatson his form tutor. Mr Whatson was my form tutor at one time, he was a wondeful guy and a great teacher. Mabz

yes mabz i remember you telling that the other week.. thought you may spot it.....

lyn

Mind you Lyn - the headmaster Mr Smith of Farm street was a nasty piece of work............ he cained me many times (my eyes are watering thinking about it)........... Mind you, I must have deserved it? Mabz

keith..our kid said he has trod the path up the winding stairs to smithys room too....one day i am going to the central library where we can view the punishment books for farm st school...

lyn

keith..our kid said he has trod the path up the winding stairs to smithys room too....one day i am going to the central library where we can view the punishment books for farm st school...

lyn

Mine should be easy to find Lyn. It happened too often I'm afraid.....

keith..when i find time to go i will see if i am allowed to take pics...then i can post it on the site...lol

lyn

Snap Jean mines the same as your Husbands, my wife will try to put it on here for me later Bobby b

Great Bob. Finding your way around better now arn't you. Was the headmaster the same when Pete was there?. Jean. Just noticed it should read certificate.

Hi, Jean: I celebrated my eightieth birthday a couple of weeks ago and I still have my school (Loxton St. Snr. Boys) leaving certificate. But it is in the loft and at the moment and I am in no fit state to climb up there to get it and post it...!

What I can tell you is that, although my first name is James, the certificate is made out to "John" Pedley because, in those days, there was a song going around called "Johnny Pedlar" and, as school captain, I had many dealings with Mr. Griffiths - the headmaster - who insisted on calling me Johnny Pedlar... This stuck in his head to the extent that when I left school he made the certificate out to John Pedley. At least he got the Pedley right!

Best Wishes for the New Year,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)

Last edited:
Dear Jean,

My certificate was Easter 1955.Signed Vernon Whittaker Iv looked through my glass and your husbands was 1958,On the back of my certificate is some of the masters Sigs,Jones Wilbore,Hall.another Jones 2/3.Webber,stote,P R Probey,Davis.Morgan.E Pedler,Garrett Forester, East, Fred Aldridge Bowden,J A Jeoffrey, P W Dooner caretaker, Killer Blake,.and of course Tubby himself the music man. Jean did your husband live in Normandy Road ? Bobby b

Bobby Pete used to call him fatty Taylor and he was always hitting Pete with a piece of wood off a chair. Wouln't get away with it these days. Pete's going to have a look at those names later on. Thanks for posting them Bobby. Jean.

I don't think this will be going off thread but Bob you won't believe this but just had a message of friend reunited and someone was looking at your profile and messages and tied me up with Pete and his brothers. His name is John Chance so he may be in touch with you too. Did you know him from school?. Jean.

Jean.John Chance and i have spoken on here, but we dont seem to remember each other.Did you know Peter Smith up Normandy Road next door to the Bollands???? Bobby b

Jean we have scanned Photo of leaving certificate, how do i get it to you ? bob

Nice one Bob you will have to sort out some other photo's from the past now. Those certs attached ok didn't they. Jean.

Six pages of posts and no one shows a Borstal School release certificate. Not that I have one. Like you I was a good boy.
The School Leaving Certificate probably said more a bout a youngster then than the certicates they issue now. I understand not everyone recieved it.

hi all...maybe a tad off topic but heres my 1st reading card from alma street school...i was only there for about the 1st 6 months of schooling so this would be dated around 1958..the other is my baptism cert...

lyn

Back