• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

School Clinics ?

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

Another thread has been discussing sunlamp treatment at school clinics. It has made me think "What has happened to school clinics?" Are there any left? If they have completely disappeared I think it is a shame. Whilst they were not popular with the children attending them they did keep an eye on the health of the youngsters. Perhaps it was thought that the NHS would take over. I think that school clinics could be an integral part of the NHS.

Old Boy

Hi old boy
Nice to hear from you ,the school clinic in my days never got that treatment the only school clinic I our days
Was for the dentist treatment or if nitty Nora the school nurse for the monthly head lice checks
If you had them they would take you down the clinic in Albert Road Aston, where you all had the head washed and grooved with a steel comb and washed in chemical
Called sulio stunk blind then they would run you back to school in the van and then the other kids would starting making bad remarks to you
There was never any heat treatment in our area yet alone the years
Best wishes and a very happy new year to you all Astonian,,,,,,

hi all, only went to the school dentist in albert road once in the late fifties, had one tooth out, bad memories. then went to a dentist in bircfeild road just down from sixways aston no problems with them kind reguards sidwho

The only bad memory I have, regarding visiting school dentists, is that on my eighth birthday I had a tooth removed.

Unfortunately this coincided with the arrival of my first two wheeled bicycle. My Nanny told me I could not ride it as cold would get into my gums and I would have to wait until the next day to have a maiden ride.

Imagine my disappointment.
a025.gif

Back