• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

School Caretakers

The caretaker at Marlborough rd. school was Mr McCormack and his Daughter was in our class.
The caretaker at York Road primary school in Hall Green, between 1948 and 1954, was also a Mr. McCormack. Not the same one surely? Dave.

The caretaker at steward street school in the 1956 era was a Mr Limb and his family
Whom kept that school in top. Condition through out the building
And not only that he maintained the big cracking flower beds we had around in the play grounds
Which we had at that school tonne for the day nursery ,second for the young juniors and thirdly
The bigger kids senior of the juniors
There was a Mr Lewis whom was the head master,and Mrs Jones the assistant school mistress
And Mr Limb lived on the premises is house was in spring hill passage adjoining
The school gates and he had a street gas Lamp out side is very front windows
Top and bottom so I reckon he got cheap and free Lighting
These guys work hard but little pay I presume they have to pay rent probably
Had it taken out of there salary, Alan,,,,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

Hi All,

Most of us seem to remember some, if not all, of our teachers but I have seen no mention of the school caretakers who were important inasmuch as they kept the school going. They looked after the cleanliness, heating and security as best as they could. I had two uncles who were school caretakers and they were proud of their jobs.

One was Fred Farr who started at Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath, then Starbank Road, Small Heath and finally at Marchmount Road, Bordesley Green.

Then there was Arthur Stevens at Alston Road, Bordesley Green, Silvermere Road, Sheldon and , finally, Dame Elizabeth Cadbury at Bourneville. Both of them may have been at other schools that I cannot remember.

I also have a nephew by marriage who was a caretaker but, as he is still alive,perhaps I should not name him. His twin brother was also a careteker which shows that, perhaps, the job tended to run in families.

Does anyone remember either of the above. I can remember Mr Dangerfield who looked after Waverley Grammar School whilst I was there in the early forties. He was a kind and helpful man. I cannot remember the name of the caretaker of my first school, Somerville Road Small Heath, but recall that he was tall with a military moustache and a military bearing. He had probably served in WW1. It was he who taught me how to tie my shoes with a bow when he spotted that my shoelace was undone.

Old Boy

What year would this be? My great granddad was a Frederick Farr.

I remember Mr Warner from St Wilfrids RC primary school, Shawsdale rd. 1967 era. I should do, he was my dad :)

I went to Stechford Road School (now Colebourne Primary School)in the 1940's early 50's. The school caretaker then was a Mr Moseley, a friendly man and devoted to his job. He lived in the flat in the archway building that led to the school grounds. He was instrumental in helping us cope when a bus and lorry collided and killed 2 young children waiting to cross the road. I had just crossed the road and was waiting for my school friend to cross with Mr Moseley when the accident happened. I was under 10 years but the memory is still there. Not long after the accident Birmingham Council changed the layout of the junction at Hodge Hill Road with Stechford Road. We lived in Southbourne Avenue at the time.
I have just joined BHF and Albert Mosley was my grandad. I remember being told about the accident when I was young and as I'm researching my family tree, it would be great to make contact with anyone that may remember my grandad and his family. Many thanks.

Back