• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

School Camps in Wartime to assist food production

Old Boy

master brummie
I have seen no reference in any thread of the school camps during the summer during the war to help food production. These were entirely voluntary and senior pupils went to camps in the countryside to help the farmers

I was at Waverley Grammar School and we went to Arrow (near Alcester). The girls slept in the village hall and the boys in bell tents. We were divided into small groups and each morming we were picked up in lorries and taken to the various farms in the area. I helped with potato gathering (back breaking) and fruit picking which was the favourite because it paid the best. Yes we were paid a fair wage for our efforts.

I know that Aston Commercial School went to Broom near Bidford on Avon.
Has anyone else such memories and where did you go?

Old Boy

Hello Chris,
It wasn't during the war,but I do remember being taken from school to pick potatoes in the wilds of Northfield,the pay was 1/-a day.:rolleyes:.

Back