• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scarlet's, Horse Fair (formerly White Lion)

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
When I was on Horse Fair recently I saw this building. Now a club called Scarlet's, but according to Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham, it used to be a pub called the White Lion.

Scarlet's Restaurant Night Club & Bar - Horse Fair (formerly the White Lion) by ell brown, on Flickr

Scarlet's Restaurant Night Club & Bar - Horse Fair (formerly the White Lion) by ell brown, on Flickr

Info from Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham

On the north east corner of Thorp Street, the former White Lion of 1896 by J. & L. Lea for Davenports Brewery. Brick with stone dressings, Elizabethan style: giant fluted Corinithian pilasters and a corner spirelet deriving from Burghley House.

Interesting architecture on upper storeys Ell. And a nice bit of history with the spirelet from Burgley Hall. Thanks. Viv.

And what a mess they have made of a lovely old building. Sympathy with the original is what is needed - why do people these days have no sense?

No problem.

I assume that they gutted the ground floor and fitted the club there.

At least they kept the top floors as they were.

I worked at the white lion pub for 3 years as a barmaid from 1971. We used to get famous people who would come into the lounge Charlie williams,police five presenter,the orchestra from the hippodrome would dash in for a quick drink in their interval. In the back room the locals would drink most nights from the flats opposite , we had our own darts team who would play in competition with the other local pubs. They were mainly Irish they used to be a great laugh.

I remember going in the White Lion one lunchtime as a 16 year old in 1962. Working in little bow street behind the Catholic school right opposite, I was with an Irish painter called Billie and we both had our overalls on so he led me in there and ordered a pint, what will you have he asked and I said I'll have half a cider. The barmaid went absolutely rabid at the very mention of cider and shouted "not in here you won't!" Billie fell on the floor laughing and I ended up with a shandy. Seemingly cider drinkers always caused trouble!

Last edited:
Back