• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scanner Problem.

barrie

master brummie
I have an HP Scanjet 2100c flatbed scanner, it works very wel on my desktop PC which has Windows XP for an operating system. I decided I would like to use it with my laptop which uses Windows Vista as its operating system.

I installed the software using the original disc, and the laptop indicated that the software was installed ok, but I cannot find it anywhere in my system. There are no icons, and the programme does not appear in Install/Uninstall, nor does it appear in "Computer" When I connect the scanner to my laptop, it informs me via a dialog box, that no scanner is connected.

When I go into "Search" and type in "Scanners" it tells me that I have a programme for an HP Scanjet 2100c. Where is it??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Barrie.

This might explain things, Barrie, although it's not the answer you want: https://www.vistaheads.com/forums/m...ws-vista-general/101532-hp-scanjet-2100c.html

It looks as though HP don't support this scanner for Vista. Although it might be worth checking with them to see if they have in fact issued updated drivers; and also seeing if you can scan by using the "Scan" function in whatever graphics software you use. It MIGHT still work, even though you can't see the original software.

Chris

I foudn that some items were better off using Windows generic drivers when I updated some while back.

Thank you both. I think I will give up the idea of using the scanner with my laptop, and reserve it for the desktop pc.

Thanks again.

Barrie.

That site appears to want me to buy a piece of software that repairs broken drivers Bernie. I am debating now whether to buy a new scanner to use with the laptop, or just soldier on with the one thats connected to the desktop.

Barrie.

Having had a mooch around it does seem that a Vista driver is not available for your scanner. If you haven't got both machines connect on a shared network, I would suggest you scan whatever you want on your XP machine and, if necessary, load it onto your laptop via a memory stick.

Hi Barrie,
Do you have any photo manipulation software on your laptop. Some will import scanned photographs. The software drives the scanner and should work whether you have Windows Vista or XP. I use Photoshop which imports my scanned images... I don't know what else to suggest....
Humph

Barrie,

The last post I made, maybe totally wrong and so please ignore. I just thought the photo manipulation software would recognise your scanner, but then I thought it may rely on the computer recognising where the scanner is, so if yours does not, it most likely wouldn't work..... sorry for the waste of time.......

If you want a scanner that coulod work with Vista, I have seen them being given away on Freecycle sites. all you would have to do is pick it up. I have given you a lik to the general site and all you have to do is serch for you local one.

Humph

www.uk.freecycle.org

I have been given a unused Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus 48bit USB Scanner, can I run it Windows 7:)

Hi alf,

I completed a search and came across one fellow who was selling the same model because it didn't work with Windows7....but there is very little other information out there...
Humph

Thanks Humph, been reading Microsoft's instructions and it says you can run Windows XP along side Windows 7 but cant find anything simple on how.

Alf I did another search and came up with this from Microsoft:-

Do I need Windows XP Mode?

Windows 7 has several built-in tools to help with program compatibility and Windows XP programs should be installed directly on Windows 7. Windows XP Mode runs some older productivity programs that might not run on Windows 7. Visit the Windows 7 Compatibility Center to find software that works with Windows 7.

Here's the link

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

Hope this helps...
Humph

There seems to be a little confusion about what you need to run a scanner on your PC.
The primary requirement will be a TWAIN 32 driver, which is used by the Windows system (If you install Windows 7 64 bit, then chances are you won't get drivers for anything but a late model scanner.) The other requirement, is the scanner software, (which calls upon the TWAIN driver when actioned to do so.) This is the programme called upon by your photo manipulation software when you scan a picture. (Where you select scan resolution, colour or B&W, scan area etc.)
So, if you don't have the software installed, you CAN'T scan anything, and if you do have compatible software installed, it can't work without the TWAIN driver. Both need to be compatible with your operating system.
Best way to look at it, is as a car and an engine. Neither any good without the other.

There is software out there that will probably do the job (Google: 'Vue Scan') but it's going to cost you money.

I've got a high quality scanner, and I've had to bite the bullet and buy another since I went Windows 7 64 bit. A bit galling I must say, but........

CEEBEE

Back