• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had 5 calls in two days, the first at 8.00am on Monday claiming to be from Amazon thanking me for my order and if I did not cancel it they will ship me an iPhone 7 costing £300+, I did not bother to remember the exact amount. I am still waiting for the iPhone that I did not order.
There was another call 30 minuites later but I did not answer it.
Since then I have had 3 call telling me that my internet service will be cancelled with the next 4 hours.
As you can see from the fact that I am writing this that I still have my internet service even when I just put the phone down.

I was placing a regular online grocery order with a large supermarket on my PC when at the payment stage a message 'Oops something went wrong at our end' popped up and the order stopped. Immediately a fraud alert message from my bank appeared on my mobile and I immediately signed out of the supermarket site.

I then received another message from the bank saying I would receive a message from a mobile number with instructions on what to do. Luckily I recognised the number as an already agreed contact number so was genuine. I calmed down and then re-read the first message and noticed that the bank was waiting for a 'Y' or 'N' to a question 'was it me' ordering from the supermarket.

I tapped the 'Y' button and other message came from the bank saying 'thanks and continue with your order'.

I ran a full virus check etc, and checked my bank account. All seemed well so signed back into the supermarket.

I encountered a neighbour of long standing last week on one of my dog walks. He is in his late eighties and has always been a person who had my respect, both as a decent human being, and, as a retired lecturer, an intelligent man. He told me that he had just been scammed, the old computer needing attention, we can deal with it for you scam, which could have cost him money, but his bank was very supportive. He has now made some changes to internet addresses, a/c nos etc. and he and his wife have bought new phones and junked their old numbers.

The point about this rambling intro is that my friend has been completely demoralised by these scumbags, and has suffered a considerable change in outlook, and not a favourable one either. I offered any support I could, but am saddened to see the way that this has left him, and feel that this is a difficult subject to push, because of both the Covid situation, and not wanting to make the position worse by banging on about it. Fortunately he does have support from his wife, who has been able to stay a bit more positive.

I think the moral is this: - if you don’t know who is on the other end of the line, put the phone down.

Last edited:
I just got a call from someone claiming to be from BT technical department telling me that they'd seen some unusual activity on my IP address, not a record this time a real person.
I rang him off and he rang again quite angry this time "Did we get disconnected or did you ring off?" so I rang him off again. :)

Is that what counts as unusual activity on your line, Eric? :) I guess he got the message!

Maurice :cool:

Has anyone ever received a letter from AVIVA asking for personal details so that they can confirm that you`re the person they`re looking for. It all looks genuine but i think i`ll wait till Monday so i can phone & find out why they are looking for me. You never know, they may owe me some dosh, or the old bill may be looking for me. !!

Apologies if you are already ahead of me, but look up Aviva’s number for yourself, don’t use the one on the letter unless it’s the same.

Good advice.

Some of these scam companies have been setting up cloned website to look like the original. It happened to Brewin Dolphin the investment managers. So do check and don’t rush. If it sounds too good to be true it is.

Got one of these today. If you get one IGNORE IT AND DELETE IT. It looks genuine but none of the links to Royal Mail Services work. Viv.55F10F6E-FD63-484C-ACC4-C4ED70873ED0.jpeg

There is an article in this month’s Which magazine, going into this type of scam.

Much as I should like to post a copy for your attention, I would probably then have copyright lawyers chasing after me with flaming swords or something, but they can’t stop me from warning you.

The columnist, a tech savvy woman, was nearly caught out by a pre-ticked box in a message similar to that above, purportedly from DPD, asking for a small amount of money to be paid to cover an underpayment by a dispatcher. Aside from the one-off payment of a pound, to meet the underpayment and get her parcel, further down the page was a pre-ticked box committing her to recurring monthly charges of £43.99. When she checked the URL it wasn’t DPD at all, it was some scammer.

Might I suggest you obtain a copy of Which for May 2021, (library?) and read page 9.

£43.99 overlooked for 3 months would lose you more than a £100, but now you know what to do, and don’t fall for any pre-ticked boxes!

Last edited:
Could I remind members that this thread is not a political one and is only meant to be of help to members.
Any off topic posts will be deleted.
Alberta.

Just had a call on our landline (don't get many of those). Automated message telling me I had missed a call from my internet provider who needed to speak to me before they terminated my account. At that point I put the phone down. Checked phone and no incoming calls since last Thursday then checked BT caller protect - two calls this morning not allowed through. Have reported number to action fraud and blocked the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back