• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I've done in the past is answer the phone, then see what they want to say OR SELL me, then say...."Can you hang on a moment the baby is crying"..........leave phone off the hook for 30mins or so whilst watching TV, come back & you can BET your bottom dollar they have hung up.....lol
Works EVERY time although it STILL got on my nerves with the amount of calls I used to get but "Sky Shield" put a complete STOP to it.

Regards
Rob

There have been several reports of companies sending unsolicited items and then writing 'verified' feedback saying how good they and the product are!

OK everybody,we can all stand down from this one. It appears that some time ago when I purchased a new tablet I was invited to fill in a warranty form online. The cable is my 'reward' for so doing.
Thanks to all that answered. Panic over.:grinning:

NoddKD. Calm once more.

Anyone had the Amazon scam. 0013127894024, saying your account has been renewed, we have taken a £70 fee, if you don’t want to renew press 1 !!

My husband had a call this morning saying I had bought a tablet from them and press button 1, I haven't got an account otherwise he mght have thought I'd ordered one.
rosie.

Amazon Prime are once again taking money from my account, difficult since they don't have any details.
They threaten this about every month:):):mask:

Have just received a text message claiming to be from Lloyds telling me that an unknown device had been paired with my account and that if it was not me then I should contact a web address. I do not have a Lloyds account. I then looked at the link address which ended in .me. The Me domain allows anyone to have an email address with their own name so it is not one that a commercial organisation would have.

Have just received a text message claiming to be from Lloyds telling me that an unknown device had been paired with my account and that if it was not me then I should contact a web address. I do not have a Lloyds account. I then looked at the link address which ended in .me. The Me domain allows anyone to have an email address with their own name so it is not one that a commercial organisation would have.
The .me domain is registered as national code for Montenegro but, like several other countries, gets used over the world. It's unlikely that any corporation in the UK would use it but if you've got a foreign bank...

If anyone receives messages like this - I've had them from Lloyds Bank, HMRC, and Royal Mail - take a screenshot and email them to
[email protected]
No need to give your details. This ensures that the bogus websites are closed asap before less vigilant victims fall foul of the scam.

You can also report them to your mobile network provider. If they are texts then you usually have to send the number the text came from.

I was about to be arrested, again for tax fraud.

Yes I had one of those some weeks ago - it was a voicemail actually as I was out and my phone was off - lady with an American accent, sounded so ridiculous!

This week I had a text saying the time limit on a package I had ordered had expired - something about paying a fee! I deleted it straight away, I never click into links in case they have a virus.
I hadn't ordered anything anyway but I guess they try it on as so many people have been buying online during the lockdown.

Yes, a lot of these scams do sound ridiculous as you quite rightly say. The problems arise when they also coincide with something else. A friend of mind had just transferred some money too his daughter via BACS. A scam email landed half an hour later and almost caught him out.

Hi Pete. That reminded me to top-up my mobile phone on EE. I have a plan for which I pay £10 a month. Asked for email address and password and everything seemed to go smoothly. Confirmation email and text within a minute for successful top-up. One thing I do for this and other sites is to reject the request for saving/remembering the password or email address. Somehow it feels more secure if I enter these myself each time. Dave

Hi Pete. That reminded me to top-up my mobile phone on EE. I have a plan for which I pay £10 a month. Asked for email address and password and everything seemed to go smoothly. Confirmation email and text within a minute for successful top-up. One thing I do for this and other sites is to reject the request for saving/remembering the password or email address. Somehow it feels more secure if I enter these myself each time. Dave
i did it by 150 and all went well. EE said they know nothing about the other payment online. it not there site.

Mobile phone rang 2 mins ago 'This is the National insurance agency, a fraudulent use of you NI number was detected on the Welsh border,please press 1 to avoid us taking legal action'
The mind boggles, but if a vulnerable person was to hear the words legal action they may we worried enough to press 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back