• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received a email from the holiday company i`ve booked with (VRBO)requesting my email address so they can give me further information. Call me stupid but, if they have already emailed me requesting my email address then they obviously have my email address? Puzzled !
Various possiblities. One is some idiot has sent this out without thinking or is just joking. Next, because you don't book from your email address, someone is sending these messages to everyone on the mailing list so they can cut out the addresses that aren't in use anymore. Next, they have to check through all of their email list every once in a while to see if they still have permission.
First, check that the email comes from the company you've been dealing with. It should end with the same bit of address that they use for their website (vrbo.com in this case). If it does and you still want to deal with them, contact them about it.

Scammers know people's psychology very well and skillfully use all available information, including that which the scam victim unwittingly gives up when communicating. I use free temporary phone numbers to avoid phone scammers.
If you are approached by phone, online, via social networks or by other means and under various pretexts, try to find out your bank card details, the code which came to your cell phone, passwords or other personal information. Be careful, they are scammers.

Last edited:
that well known seller flee bay has a lot of scammers now that take your dosh .but dont send any goods out saying they have been posted,(no tracking number) grrrrrr.

my mom sent away for a hearing aid 6 weeks ago,and has heard nothing since.:grinning:
Tell your mom to get a referral from her GP to the local Hospital Audiology department. Hearing aids are available free on the NHS. As are the batteries. I get tremendous service from my local service.

I had someone a couple of weeks ago from Amazon telling me they were going to relieve me of £79 for some reason I listened to what he had to say . Then I had my go telling him he was talking to someone with a bit of savvy about them , needless to say they haven’t called again

my mom sent away for a hearing aid 6 weeks ago,and has heard nothing since.:grinning:
You should be on the stage. There is one leaving in 10 minutes, be on it.

There is a big selling site over here. You buy something, and pay the site. They verify the payment and tell the seller, who has a limited number of days to send the goods by recorded delivery. They know you paid, the seller has sent it, and that you have received the stuff. You have so many days to release the payment, or trigger a dispute. After then, the seller is paid anyway. If sending or delivery doesn't happen, you get the money back from the site. The site has special price deals with a nationwide carrier for sending stuff as part of this process.
I had a seller send me a lower spec version of a piece of tech. I opened a dispute and the payment to him from the site was immediately frozen. I sent the site photo evidence and they told the seller to sort it so I was happy, because I was getting the money back from them if he didn't. He arranged for it to be sent back, and I got repaid by the site, although he did wriggle a little bit during the dispute.
Andrew

There seems to be some problem with this, and they seem to be getting through despite efforts to stop them
and we are working as fast and as quick as we can to catch and ban them and delete their posts before they ruin the forum....this is happening daily sometimes as many as 6 a day...does not help that we are 3 mods out of 5 down at the min all on holiday...all we can do is do our best and also rely on our members to hit the report button in case we miss any...thanks folks

lyn

Last edited:
I enjoy the calls from India, supposedly calling from Microsoft, my record for keeping a caller from Microsoft on the phone was half an hour. Could have been longer but the bathroom required a visit.
They usually hang up on me, when I eventually explain that I have a Mac computer. I always ask where they are based, some say India. One once said Birmingham, I asked where in Birmingham? They replied Temple Street, I asked what’s the name of the nearby church? They hung up.
TREAT THESES CALLS AS A BIT OF FUN! A challenge Brightens up the day.
Alf.C.

You should be on the stage. There is one leaving in 10 minutes, be on it.

There is a big selling site over here. You buy something, and pay the site. They verify the payment and tell the seller, who has a limited number of days to send the goods by recorded delivery. They know you paid, the seller has sent it, and that you have received the stuff. You have so many days to release the payment, or trigger a dispute. After then, the seller is paid anyway. If sending or delivery doesn't happen, you get the money back from the site. The site has special price deals with a nationwide carrier for sending stuff as part of this process.
I had a seller send me a lower spec version of a piece of tech. I opened a dispute and the payment to him from the site was immediately frozen. I sent the site photo evidence and they told the seller to sort it so I was happy, because I was getting the money back from them if he didn't. He arranged for it to be sent back, and I got repaid by the site, although he did wriggle a little bit during the dispute.
Andrew
Andrew, the key word in the US is Dispute! If you dispute a charge the bank or paying has to investigate the charges and freezes everything until resolved. Seller’s don’t like that so they reluctantly resolve although I had one with a major retailer who finally credit it Ed my account.

I notice there are three scam posts on the BHF posted this morning. Most of us simply ignore them but perhaps Xenforo can be set to automatically block their IP addresses or any VPN they might be using ?
Do the scam posts always have a URL in the posting, that would seem to be the point, to get the viewer to click ? How about any of the first N posts from a new account that contain a URL (any URL) get deleted automatically, (or maybe just the URL is deleted). Or to be generous, the post is reviewed and marked as clean if OK. N is reset, so a new poster has to do N+1 consecutive 'clean' posts to appear automatically. That and 1 post per day until proven would at least make the scammers work a bit more.
Andrew.

The forum software Xenforo can be set to block certain IP addresses and VPNs from registering but setup is tricky and scammers are expert 'artful dodgers'. The best thing (as lyn said) is to click the Report button and ignore them.

The forum software Xenforo can be set to block certain IP addresses and VPNs from registering but setup is tricky and scammers are expert 'artful dodgers'. The best thing (as lyn said) is to click the Report button and ignore them.
thanks phil....we have been up against these invaders for a couple of months now....warren is doing his best to stop them by tweeking the settings every so often which does work for a short time but then the little blighters come back...as said if we allow them stay on the forums threads it will totally ruin the look and smooth running of our threads and like you say phil if members spot any they hit the report button we mods can pick them up when we have time to log on because with the best will in the world we cant be online 24/7...thanks again folks...oh as i type another one has just been posted...that makes 7 today so far...most annoying and time consuming..i shall now go and get rid of it

lyn

Recently on a couple of occasions the delivery person (think it was Hermes) put the parcel against the open door to take the photograph, presumably to show there was someone there who received it

Recently on a couple of occasions the delivery person (think it was Hermes) put the parcel against the open door to take the photograph, presumably to show there was someone there who received it
mike when we get parcels they ask us to stand on the step next to the parcel so that they can take a photo of our feet as well:D clever

hermes just leaves my parcels on the step. takes a pic and legs it. there is a big box outside for when i am out or if it is raining but they still leave it on the step....
mike when we get parcels they ask us to stand on the step next to the parcel so that they can take a photo of our feet as well:D clever
why feet? the mind boggles :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back