• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
hermes just leaves my parcels on the step. takes a pic and legs it. there is a big box outside for when i am out or if it is raining but they still leave it on the step....

why feet? the mind boggles :grinning:
i would image for data protection/privacy reasons pete...i would think its not allowed to take a facial photos of the recipients of parcels in case the photos ended up where they should not be showing the feet alongside the parcel would prove it had been received

lyn

i would image for data protection/privacy reasons pete...i would think its not allowed to take a facial photos of the recipients of parcels in case the photos ended up where they should not be showing the feet alongside the parcel would prove it had been received

lyn
I know I have been lucky in this respect being in Telecommunications till I retired but myself if I get a call from a number not recognised on my mobile or shows on my caller display on the landline. I just don’t answer and on the mobile when the call ends on the mobile I block the number, as for texts I just delete them.

A couple of years ago we ordered online a garden strimmer , the day of delivery a slight noise was heard in the kitchen . Upon inspection after opening the front door , the female driver wending her way back to the van . The wife asked can I help you ? “Your delivery is behind the gate “ the driver said . Did you ring th bell the wife asked , only to be met with the answer I didn’t think there was anyone in . She had turfed the stimmer over the gate and walked, it was pouring down with rain and the box was soaked I ask you, what chance have you got with some people ?

With regard to the scammers who post on here every morning, they are posting on many other forums. I've looked around and can see the same posts and same user names on several forums. It must be a computerised setup.
i tend to agree with you phil there are too many of them to be real people...ive knabbed 3 this morning already... also thanks to members who are hitting the report button if they spot any being posted...

lyn

I recently had a ev home charger installed in which i had to scan a QR code, which got me thinking that it might make it easier for the scammers to lure folk onto dodgy websites? QR codes seem to be getting more popular so maybe some techie on here can tell us if they`re trustworthy.

QR codes seem to be getting more popular so maybe some techie on here can tell us if they`re trustworthy.
Short answer. No

A bit longer. QR codes are fine in principle, they usually encode a URL that you might get wrong if you had to type it manually. The horrible bit is that YOU can't read the URL until the code is scanned. You (hopefully) would avoid scammersteaparty dot ru, but how do you know if that is what is encoded on the QR code stuck to the front of a parking meter over the top of the real one to make payment(!) easier.

They are trustworthy if they are part of printed material from someone you trust. Not if they have been stuck on as an addition. Excellent in, for example, museums where they can take you quickly to additional resources for an exhibit.

I, and you, can print a QR code with almost no effort.

Tech got me where I am today, I am not sure about letting it take me where I want to go.

Andrew.

Pete, I thought this was an insightful article until it got to the part about what they are not saying. Maybe I’m old fashioned (I know I am old) but it seemed like a sales pitch, I get that. But engraving the information on a bracelet flys in the face of our digital future!

PS. When I typed in old, oldMohawk came up automatically :) , so the question is oldMohawk scamming my iPad or is that Microsoft tracking me? :cool:

Quick Response Codes (more commonly known as QR codes) are two-dimensional barcodes that can point you to an online destination such as a website or download link. They're essentially hyperlinks in image form - you may have seen them inside magazines and newspapers or at the top of business cards. amazon uses the to send you return info. grrr
To interact with a QR code, you point your phone camera at the shape so your device can act as a scanner. A message with a clickable link will pop up on your mobile sometimes they are a pain, i dont have a smartphone. plus i like to know what i am clicking on these days

Pete, I thought this was an insightful article until it got to the part about what they are not saying. Maybe I’m old fashioned (I know I am old) but it seemed like a sales pitch, I get that. But engraving the information on a bracelet flys in the face of our digital future!

PS. When I typed in old, oldMohawk came up automatically :) , so the question is oldMohawk scamming my iPad or is that Microsoft tracking me? :cool:
i thought that Richard. even after clearing history etc.google still remembers names i have used in the past it shows they track you grrrr. my dad once said" pete dont trust anyone":cool:

My iPhone can scan a QR code and list the contents before I do anything with it. I used it once to find the content of a QR but can't remember how I did it. :)

My iPhone can scan a QR code and list the contents before I do anything with it. I used it once to find the content of a QR but can't remember how I did it. :)
Scanning a QR code is simple even on my not very expensive Moto but are they safe?

Attackers can embed malicious URLs containing custom malware into a QR code which could then exfiltrate data from a mobile device when scanned. It is also possible to embed a malicious URL into a QR code that directs to a phishing site, where unsuspecting users could disclose personal or financial information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back