• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BT phone blocks any number at the press of a button i leave it on answer machine mode all the while,while i am in i can see who is calling before i answer it its suprising what cranks call and hang up when they here the machine:(
Pete, our phones do that but don't stop anything. Our mobile phones actually light up the number with "Scam Likely" and so far over 2 years they got it right.

Just had the following text message: (link blanked out).
1664272939957.png
Two problems:
1. Government web site says
The discount is automatic. If you get a message asking for your bank details, this could be a scam. You can report messages you think are suspicious.
2. I have already had emails from our supplier (for both our house and my late dad's flat) detailing how the rebate will be applied.

rec a call from 02476019912 today at 13:00 pretending to be from BT TECHNICAL. asking me how many items was connected to my wifi
as it shows there is more than one. i said i am not with BT so they hung up. reported them to BT scam dept

Been a good week for nonsense calls/texts, my Apple Pay payments have been declined three times and I face high charges if I don't respond (I don't use or own anything Apple related, I dislike the company) and I've missed half a dozen parcel deliveries which shows age has caught up with me because I can't remember ordering anything. A 25 year old girl from Thailand has fallen in love with me...nice to know I've still got 'it' ;)

I've just discovered via text that I appear to have a contactless wallet in the Apple system.
It apparently has problems and they want me to tap a link in the text. When I bought an iPad some years ago, the one thing I did not do was to give Apple my card details which they asked for. I bought a voucher for the few 'paid-for' apps I use.

Obviously a scam !

I've just discovered via text that I appear to have a contactless wallet in the Apple system.
It apparently has problems and they want me to tap a link in the text. When I bought an iPad some years ago, the one thing I did not do was to give Apple my card details which they asked for. I bought a voucher for the few 'paid-for' apps I use.

Obviously a scam !
I’ve been getting a few texts recently saying that my order is ready, click the attached link and provide my payment method and number!

I recently received an email supposedly from Amazon informing me I'd been allocated a Prime account that would automatically bill me for so much a month unless I chose to opt out. It provided a link to a site that would let me opt out if I wished. Having an Amazon account, I admit I did click to access the site then got a warning that it was unsafe and the penny dropped. I went back to the original email and saw that there was no Amazon address showing when I put my cursor over the URL. Then I logged onto my real Amazon account to find I didn't have Prime. Email deleted.

This appears to be doing the rounds in the last few days
"Freshbooks" - Payment Subscription through Paypal.
Do not click on link to cancel subscription via Paypal.
All the subscription numbers of the ones I have seen appear to be the same.
Freshbooks.JPG

At this time of year many people are the recipients of parcels, sometimes with no prior warning they are coming. Scammers make use of this and send scam e-mails supposedly from couriers, urging them to click on a link.

I've had this one, see screenshot below, supposedly from "ips" (there's no such company - the photo shows a "ups" lorry) so be warned!
ips scam .jpg

At this time of year many people are the recipients of parcels, sometimes with no prior warning they are coming. Scammers make use of this and send scam e-mails supposedly from couriers, urging them to click on a link.

I've had this one, see screenshot below, supposedly from "ips" (there's no such company - the photo shows a "ups" lorry) so be warned!
View attachment 176083
Yes, we have in the US Usually attached with a survey to get merchandise with a $50+
value all you have to do is pay for shipping with your credit card!

View attachment 176083
i had the same one saying they could not deliver today and can i confirm my address.....no chance

This was a new on on me. Some days ago I went to check my emails with Virgin Media. I clicked on the menu page prior to selecting email and box appeared with a message telling me my usual email had been discontinued and I was to click on a tab that would allow me to start a brand new email account. Not really sure but feeling quite suspicious, I deleted the page and started again. This time I accessed my email account with no trouble and have done since. Obviously some sort of scam aimed at accessing personal information by reading emails.

I notice that lately all the scam telephone calls are coming with local telephone numbers, different every time.
Bob
Yes, that is a big problem. I understand that Ofcom are putting some new regulations in so the telephone company’s stop scammers hiding behind false numbers. Should happen next year, not before time either.

I have just had exactly the same text that my husband had last week.
It reads - "Hi Mum have smashed my phone and am texting from a friend's phone but their battery is about to die. Pleases WhatsApp me on my new number........".
Have forwarded both messages to spam reporting.
As I have deleted both I am unsure if the number given was the same.

I have just had exactly the same text that my husband had last week.
It reads - "Hi Mum have smashed my phone and am texting from a friend's phone but their battery is about to die. Pleases WhatsApp me on my new number........".
Have forwarded both messages to spam reporting.
As I have deleted both I am unsure if the number given was the same.
Same thing over here, almost word for word translation into French. Apparently widespread in Australia (but not in French) too.
We need to find the person doing this and speak sharply to them :mad:

Happy Christmas to everyone.
Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back