• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just read a post by nico today where he said his mate had a rigmoral I have not heard that word for years even though I always use it dus anyone know where it originated from as when you see it writ down it looks and sounds weird.
I don't know, myself. It's a bit like a shenanagins I suppose. Or a hoo haa. Or a ding dong.
Web says it is ragman roll. An old childrens' game? Doesn't sat how to play it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
r
I have just read a post by nico today where he said his mate had a rigmoral I have not heard that word for years even though I always use it dus anyone know where it originated from as when you see it writ down it looks and sounds weird.

rigmarole means complicated, bothersome nonsense, so it might seem that, like gobbledygook, kerfuffle, to-do, and blabbityblab, the word’s origin is onomatopoeic or fanciful. But there is a story behind rigmarole that goes back to a 13th century list of names known as the Ragman Roll.
Edward I of England, also known as Hammer of the Scots, forced members of the Scottish nobility to swear fealty to him by signing oaths of allegiance that were collected on a number of parchments that together made up what came to be called the Ragman Roll (or Ragman Rolls, or Ragman’s Roll). Why Ragman? There’s some disagreement about that. It may contain a Scandinavian root related to cowardice (in Icelandic ragmenni means coward). Or it could go back to a medieval word for the devil.
Over time ragman roll, for a long roll of parchment full of “nonsense,” eventually became rigmarole, a long, unnecessarily time-consuming hassle. No doubt a word that has always been useful.

What a palloo and pallaver.
I'll be with you in a jiffy. What's a jiffy?
I'll be with you in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Av yow gone ta China ta mek that tay?
I'll have a drap o whiskey, just enough ta fill me 'oller tuth!

Er's queer cattle.
Look at 'er showing all 'er folderols
'Ee was my fat aunty (fiancé)
I felt sorry for the Annies in this world. 'Ere comes pregnant Annie...... Fat Annie....Mad Anna......Fanny Annie.
Stop fannying about.
You pranny!

Growing up in Aston l am familiar with lots of sayings and slang...but imagine my shock and surprise when l came to Texas and people say l am wearing my best kakis?? l only new that word has something else...after all these years l still have to smile if only these people knew what l knew it as...oh these Texans were referring to khaki pants.

I posted this before, My Nan's take on Tutankhamun was Nutty Cayman,
Then, I thought how Stewpony got its name from Estepona.
Tighnabruaich, a village in Scotland Nan visited. I am told you say Tee nuh broo uhk,. Her second husband part Scot part idiot said it was Titna braagh, so I can't put most things Nan called it. One was Tittle me bra.
She called Birmingham, Burnymung.
Nan went to Balone too, Boulogne.
I was often called Cough Drop

Do you know the origins of any of these Simon? They came from my mate's gran, from Belfast, Newry then Dublin.
Are you hot in your leather? (if you were not wearing much, )

I was just looking for the answer to this question and had to ask my dad who's from Dublin. This was his response:
I’d guess the ref is to a person’s own skin. Your own skin is enough to keep you warm i.e., you don’t need clothes to stay warm. It would be said, as I’m sure you know, to someone who is out in very cold weather with very light or little clothes on.

I’d guess the ref is to a person’s own skin. Your own skin is enough to keep you warm i.e., you don’t need clothes to stay warm. It would be said, as I’m sure you know, to someone who is out in very cold weather with very light or little clothes on.
The Granny usually said it say if a man had his shirt off in the street or just in a vest. She always said dorty Dublin too (dirty) if anyone said Dublin. That must be a saying too. I haven't been over for years I know the sayings change. Like it's Mum or more of a short Moom now than Mam, or ma (and Da) of my generation.

I only found out today that the saying "Daylight robbery" originated in the 18th and 19th centuries when king William the 3rd was desperate for money so he put a tax on how many windows and doors you had got .That is why when you see old buildings with their windows and doors bricked in it was probably because they wanted to pay less tax so they would of had less daylight coming through their buildings.I found this fascinating.

I only found out today that the saying "Daylight robbery" originated in the 18th and 19th centuries when king William the 3rd was desperate for money so he put a tax on how many windows and doors you had got .That is why when you see old buildings with their windows and doors bricked in it was probably because they wanted to pay less tax so they would of had less daylight coming through their buildings.I found this fascinating.
It is true, but not all bricked up windows were a result of the window tax. Architects like symmetry and balance in their house designs, especially when following a classical style. So, there are a lot of houses built with dummy windows that have never had frames. You occasionally see some with painted glazing bars and styles in white.

One other way people tried to avoid the window tax is with the bottle window. The one below in Whitby covers four floors and counts as one window. Tax avoidance is nothing new it seems

Bottle Window.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back