• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why,is it offensive?

NoddKD. Curious.
The Crips and the Bloods are two of the biggest gangs in South Los Angeles, travel on the tram from downtown LA to Long Beach and as you travel thro Watts, you will see both, look at the neck tattoos? They are the Peaky Blinders of LA

Bob

The Crips and the Bloods are two of the biggest gangs in South Los Angeles, travel on the tram from downtown LA to Long Beach and as you travel thro Watts, you will see both, look at the neck tattoos? They are the Peaky Blinders of LA

Bob
Thanks for that. I'll stick to crisps from here on in.o_O:worried:

NoddKD. Big scardy cat.

I have just read a post by nico today where he said his mate had a rigmoral I have not heard that word for years even though I always use it dus anyone know where it originated from as when you see it writ down it looks and sounds weird.

I have just read a post by nico today where he said his mate had a rigmoral I have not heard that word for years even though I always use it dus anyone know where it originated from as when you see it writ down it looks and sounds weird.
I don't know, myself. It's a bit like a shenanagins I suppose. Or a hoo haa. Or a ding dong.
Web says it is ragman roll. An old childrens' game? Doesn't sat how to play it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
r

rigmarole means complicated, bothersome nonsense, so it might seem that, like gobbledygook, kerfuffle, to-do, and blabbityblab, the word’s origin is onomatopoeic or fanciful. But there is a story behind rigmarole that goes back to a 13th century list of names known as the Ragman Roll.
Edward I of England, also known as Hammer of the Scots, forced members of the Scottish nobility to swear fealty to him by signing oaths of allegiance that were collected on a number of parchments that together made up what came to be called the Ragman Roll (or Ragman Rolls, or Ragman’s Roll). Why Ragman? There’s some disagreement about that. It may contain a Scandinavian root related to cowardice (in Icelandic ragmenni means coward). Or it could go back to a medieval word for the devil.
Over time ragman roll, for a long roll of parchment full of “nonsense,” eventually became rigmarole, a long, unnecessarily time-consuming hassle. No doubt a word that has always been useful.

What a palloo and pallaver.
I'll be with you in a jiffy. What's a jiffy?
I'll be with you in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Av yow gone ta China ta mek that tay?
I'll have a drap o whiskey, just enough ta fill me 'oller tuth!

Er's queer cattle.
Look at 'er showing all 'er folderols
'Ee was my fat aunty (fiancé)
I felt sorry for the Annies in this world. 'Ere comes pregnant Annie...... Fat Annie....Mad Anna......Fanny Annie.
Stop fannying about.
You pranny!

Growing up in Aston l am familiar with lots of sayings and slang...but imagine my shock and surprise when l came to Texas and people say l am wearing my best kakis?? l only new that word has something else...after all these years l still have to smile if only these people knew what l knew it as...oh these Texans were referring to khaki pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back