• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yow look like yow've lost a poond and found a penny.
Yow can tell em ter steek eet!
Where's that Nan,?
Where the monkey stuffs is nuts!
Where's that Nan? and she would tell me.

There was a local man who was a bit not quite all there, who would stand and stare with a big grin. Mum would say, look at him, like smiling Morn.

That's been bugging me this morning - I was sure i remembered Smiling Morn as a name from a book (apparently it's an old song too)!
Finally found it :grinning: he was a character from a book I had as a child...

That's been bugging me this morning - I was sure i remembered Smiling Morn as a name from a book (apparently it's an old song too)!
Finally found it :grinning: he was a character from a book I had as a child...
I will see if I can get it. Mum also said of people Apple Face and Egg'ead. Nan said look at ol' Gawpy Gob. I had the misfortune to have to serve Gawpy Gob when I started work as a trainee Rep, he did remember me but he didn't mention my Nan!

How hold is the original book?
I posted a long time a go that Nan said if her dress was shapeless or too big, she would look like Nanny Goon in it. Has anyone heard of Nanny Goon? And Bob Tyler I posted on the Songs thread. I wonder if he was a character from a book or a real person.? Some of her Black Country characters who were real people, she bestowed their names on to other people, when she moved to Coventry, like Duffy Baldro and Chump Mummy and Dithery Dick. I remember watching Pebble Mill at One, with mum, where you could see the audience and she shouted out there's King Kong!

I posted a long time a go that Nan said if her dress was shapeless or too big, she would look like Nanny Goon in it. Has anyone heard of Nanny Goon? And Bob Tyler I posted on the Songs thread. I wonder if he was a character from a book or a real person.? Some of her Black Country characters who were real people, she bestowed their names on to other people, when she moved to Coventry, like Duffy Baldro and Chump Mummy and Dithery Dick. I remember watching Pebble Mill at One, with mum, where you could see the audience and she shouted out there's King Kong!
My late mother in law, Audrey, b Newcastle under Lyme in 1920, used the epithet Nanny Goon to apply to someone who was a little bit behind the times in fashion, slightly less bright and more economically challenged when compared with the normal. (As you can see, I am having a bit of a struggle being adequately politically correct.)

I thought it was a Stokey thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back